I'm that girl who has had baby names picked out for as long as I can remember. Every single person in my family {and John's family} has a family name, so my sister and I have always planned on using family names. Of course, boy names have changed somewhat over the years depending on the boy I was dating. :) John and I, or maybe I should just say I, have had our names picked out for years. We were always certain that our first boy would be John Michael Quinn, Jr. and we would call him Jack. And if our first had been a boy, that's what his name would have been. But over the last couple of months, I have been second guessing that. There are just so many Jacks out there. John's grandfather went by Jack, so it is a family name, but it is also trendy, and I have always shied away from trendy names. Now we have thought about John Louis which is John's grandfather's and uncle's name, as well as a combo of our names. We might call him John, or John Louis, or we might still use Jack...who knows. We'll see if that day ever comes.
I always thought we would have all boys because of the dominant XY chromosome on the Quinn side, so we had about 3 boy names picked out. Girl names were never quite as talked about, because we were just so sure we would have all boys. John basically has no girls on his side of the family except for his mom and grandmothers, and our grandmothers all have very "old" names.
My sister and I always fought over who got to use the name Curran. You all may be thinking that is weird, especially if you don't like the name, but it is my mother's maiden name, and we loved my grandfather so very much and wanted to name one of our children after him. I think we had both planned on using it for either a girl or boy. Not necessarily what they would go by, but we wanted to use it somewhere. Since I got pregnant first, I got dibs. :)
My mother-in-law's name is Margaret Ann, so we went back and forth {and when I say "we", I mean my sister and I :). John would always say he didn't care. He's a smart cookie. :) } on whether to use her first or middle name. We {John and I, this time} decided we liked the way Margaret Curran sounded, but then after I had announced the name, I started second guessing the order. Going by her middle name means that she will always be called "Margaret" by doctors' offices, schools, etc. Having a double name myself, I cannot stand it when people just call me "Mary". It doesn't feel like my name. I would imagine it would be the same for someone who constantly gets called by their first name when they go by their middle name. But oh well. Margaret Curran it is, and she'll get over it I guess. Plus I like the way that monogram looks! :)
So there you have it...more than you ever wanted to know about our baby names. We do have another girl name picked out, but I'm not going to say it on here because you never know if we may change our minds.



3 comments:
LOVED reading this even though I knew (most of) the back story. Curran has such a beautiful name! When I dropped the Sarah for oh, about twelve years (until college) it wasn't THAT bad. Getting people to call you by your middle name is really easier than having a double name. It's redic that I have experience with both, ha!
Also, if I had a "Jack" that was really a John, I might call him John John a la John F. Kennedy who the romper was named after. But alas, my Jack is a Jackson!
*is-- as though he already exists, ha!
Good post, ML! I know the story too, but I loved reading it anyway! Happy Mother's Day!
Post a Comment