Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Weekend in Jackson

This past weekend we took a girls' trip to Jackson. The boys had planned a fishing trip to Craig's parents' fishing camp in Louisiana, but of course with the oil spill the trip got canceled. But we girls had already decided to go visit my parents in Jackson, so we went on anyway.

My sister's MIL has been wanting to take us to this fabric store in Brookhaven {about an hour south of Jackson} where most of the fabric is $5/yard. So my mom, sister, her MIL, our friend Katharyn, Curran, and I headed down to Brookhaven on Saturday afternoon. For years I have several things that I've wanted fabric for  {dining room chairs, curtains in living and dining room, etc}, so I was keeping my eyes open for those, but Chris, Kat, and I just started a sewing class, so we also wanted to look for fabric to make our outfits out of. Katharyn and I are just doing a simple girl's jumper, and we both found some cute, yet inexpensive fabric to make our jumpers.

Curran, Christopher, and Katharyn


Saturday night, my dad babysat so we could go with my mom to the opening night of the International Ballet Competition. Now I realize most of you have probably never heard of that, so I will do you the honor {or bore you to death} of telling you a little bit about it. :) The IBC is basically the Olympics for ballet dancers, and it comes to Jackson every 4 years. It only goes to 4 cities around the world: Moscow, Tokyo, Varna {Bulgaria}, and Jackson. Yep, you read that right. My granddad was on the board of the Jackson Ballet, and in the '70s he was one of the people responsible for bringing a world renowned dancer and teacher to Jackson, Thalia Mara. She was the one who somehow got the IBC to come to Jackson. And they have been coming every 4 years since 1979. Jackson is actually a very "cultured" city, believe it or not, and I am very proud to have grown up there!

The IBC always starts out with a guest performance before the actual competition gets underway on Sunday. This year we saw the Bad Boys of Dance, a dance company founded by Rasta Thomas. He is very famous in the dancing world and won the gold medal in the IBC when he was only 16. It was the summer after my junior year in high school, and I was waiting tables at a restaurant downtown. He came in there to eat lunch with some other dancers, and everyone thought he was the cutest thing. I went up to him and told him that my mom was "obsessed" with him, and I think I got his autograph {but I can't really remember}.

So when we found out he was performing this year, my mom really wanted us to go. And I am SO glad we were able to...it was awesome! Their show isn't just traditional ballet, but more of a mix of modern dance. They danced to Michael Jackson, Prince, and Queen, and it was very entertaining, albeit slightly racy. :) Katharyn and Christopher were practically drooling over Rasta, and as soon as we got in the car afterwards, Kat was looking up his touring dates on the internet. She's trying to figure out how we can go to Australia, Spain, France, or Italy. :)

After church on Sunday, we went over to my aunt's house to eat lunch, so it was nice for Curran to spend some time with my aunt, uncle, and cousin. Of course after church was when she decided that it was a good time to take a long nap, so I actually had to wake her up to take her over there.

Getting ready to leave Jackson.
Shhhh...don't tell my parents their picture is on here. They 1) do not like having their picture taken, and 2) do not like the idea of this blog being public.

__________________________________________

In other non-ballet-related news, Curran took 10 steps today! T-E-N! Yes, I counted...we are very into breaking previous records around here. I was so excited! And I might have scared her just a wee bit when I yelled.

I guess I also have to admit that C's second word is 'daddy'. She has been saying dada or da-ie when she sees John. If John calls from work, I put the phone on speaker and tell C to say "Hey, Daddy." She almost always says something that sounds just like it. It is pretty darn cute. :)

5 comments:

Sarah Denley said...

ML,where did you wait tables in HS?

Also, no more talking about blogs between Chrissy and Sarah Ann; they will scare each other! My mom doesn't like the public blog, either.

Life At 1604 said...

Are you going swimming on Saturday? I can't wait to see her walking! I think that's 3 of our wb that are walking now!

Mary Louis Quinn said...

Oh gosh, SD, did our moms talk about the blogs?? I know they saw each other on Saturday! I waited tables at a place called Centre Deli...you've probably never heard of it. It was in the bottom of some building and was only open for breakfast and lunch. A high school friend's dad owned it. I did NOT enjoy working there!

Briana, we are going Saturday. I guess I may bring John since it seems like a lot of the other dads are coming??

Lora G said...

I wanted to tell you that I learned a lot about flying with babies from your post on it! C is growing up so fast! :)

Brooke said...

Precious!! I can't wait to one day see pictures of little Curran in a pink tutu!! I'm also excited to see you all on Saturday. Please bring your hubby. Justin's really nervous that I'm bringing him to "hang out with the girls!" :)