Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend


As I mentioned in a previous post, we went to the beach for Memorial Day with my parents, brother, sister, and brother-in-law. We left Thursday after Curran's class party. I figured she would fall asleep in the car since she usually does when I pick her up from school, and she did end up sleeping until we stopped outside of Montgomery for dinner. She actually did really well on the ride down, but once we got to the beach it was a little hard getting her to go back to sleep for the night. 
On Friday, we walked down to Seaside to eat lunch, and while we were eating John all of a sudden said, "There is Kenny Chesney!" I thought he was kidding and just saw a look-alike, but when I turned around, there he was with his little baseball hat on backwards. He was with the Saints' head coach and a few other guys. I kept turning around to look at him, and my sister tried to get me to take a picture, but I was too embarrassed!


Earlier that day...





Late Friday afternoon, we took C out on the beach. She did not really like the sand, but she loved the ocean! It was close to dinner time so we didn't stay out too long though.










She loved "jumping" over the waves.




My little flamingo! Any time I tried to get her to stand in the sand she pulled one leg up, and most certainly would have pulled the other one up if she wasn't putting her weight on it! :)

Curran was sick all last week, and by Saturday afternoon I knew we needed to take her somewhere to be seen. I figured her virus had turned into an ear infection, and I didn't want to wait until we got back to Birmingham to call the doctor on Tuesday after the holiday. Of course, I had no idea where to take her, so I figured we would head towards the hospital in town. I did email a blog friend who used to live in the area, and she was so sweet to respond quickly and give me lots of helpful info. But at that point, I had just checked us into the ER and it wasn't crowded, so I figured we would just stay put. But now I have doctors' info for next time!
They took us right back and checked C's vital signs, which she did not like at all, especially when they had to check her blood pressure on her leg twice. The doctor surprisingly came right in, but he left a little to be desired in the bedside manner department. He told me to lay her down so he could check her over. She had just eaten a yogurt melt, so he told me to get it out of her mouth so she wouldn't choke on it when I laid her down. First of all, I am not about to stick my finger in my child's mouth to blindly fish a piece of food out of there. And second of all, those things start dissolving as soon as they get wet {hence the word melt}, so I wouldn't have been able to come out with anything but goo all over my hand anyway. So as he was watching me I just kept acting like I was trying to get in her mouth while I was really waiting for her to just swallow. So once she swallowed I said, "Well I think she ate it before I could get it." He looked her in ears and mouth and said that she had a bad infection in her left ear and a mild one in her right. And then he said "By the way, she didn't swallow the snack, it is stuck to the roof of her mouth."  :)
Then he said he was giving her a prescription for Augmentin. I asked if she could have just plain amoxicillin instead, but he said he couldn't rule out pneumonia but didn't want to send her for a chest xray, so Augmentin would cover more. I was just scared about her having diarrhea from it, but he said to give her plenty of yogurt and she should be fine.
Then he said he was giving us a prescription for Tylenol with codeine to help her sleep, but I informed him that I didn't think we needed it because she was actually sleeping really well. He responded by saying, "THIS {pointing to his ear} is painful, so give it to her if she can't sleep!" Well, alrighty! I went ahead and got the Rx filled because I figured just as soon as I didn't, she would be up screaming at night. But luckily we haven't needed it. {C actually slept great at the beach and never made so much as a fuss when going down for naps or bed.}
It took longer to wait on the prescriptions and discharge papers at the hospital than it did to be checked in and be seen. I hate complaining about hospital processes, especially since I work at one and know how the system works, but it was getting ridiculous. Luckily Christopher was with me, so I sent them out to the car and Miss C had fun playing in the backseat while I waited. But I'm glad we ended up taking her in so we could get antibiotics on board for the ear infections!
Of course Saturday night after the ER, Curran was in the best, most hyper mood and acted like nothing in the world was wrong! :) We took her to dinner with us which I hate to do since that is usually her worst time of the day. I was going to stay home with her, but my dad really wanted us to go, and since we were celebrating his birthday we decided to chance it. John and I took turns taking her outside whenever she got loud {we were in a nice, not-kid-friendly restaurant} and she had fun greeting whoever walked in the doors.





Snacking with Uncle Craig.

She also had a little ice cream at my dad's request. He was SO excited about giving her ice cream, and although I don't really want to give her sweets yet, he was so cute about it that I couldn't resist. {And when we were at C's 9 mo checkup, her doctor said that it was ok for her to have it, so that made me feel slightly less guilty about it.} Of course, she loved it...


But she was NOT excited about sharing it with her Granddaddy. She gave him the evil eye when he went in for a bite! :)






the whole gang

On Sunday, it rained for part of the day, but we did make it out to the beach for an afternoon swim. I bought C a float for the pool but left it at home, but I'm going to make sure to bring it with us next time because my arms got a workout from all the jumping over the waves, so I was worn out quickly! :) We also got to spend time with our friends Roger and Nancy who were in the area, so that was fun!

John thought it would be a good idea to get C a baby pool, but he went to several stores and couldn't find one, so he came home with a blow-up raft. :) She liked it just the same.




We tried to do some cheesy family pics Sunday night, but C was fussy during the "shoot" and was ready for dinner. I am still holding out hope that one day we will have a cute family picture!






3 comments:

Brooke said...

Curran is just too precious for words! Your doctor story made me giggle. I would have "tried" to get it out of her mouth just the same!! Glad ya'll had a good beach trip. I'm still holding out that we get to go this year!!

Emily Ferris said...

LOVE all the sweet pics! Looks like y'all had a great time ... and glad C is feeling better!

Morgan Robinson said...

She is too cute!! I love the ice cream pictures!