Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sewing 101

Christopher, Katharyn, and I decided to take a sewing class this summer. I feel like it's kind of a lost art and would be a wonderful skill to have. We are in a beginner class, but it seems like the majority of the girls all have some experience under their belt. I, on the other hand, have never so much as sat at a sewing machine or cut out a pattern. So during the first class last Monday, I felt like someone was speaking to me in a foreign language. It was way over my head. My Aunt Mary, who sews and smocks beautifully, was actually in town on the day of the first class to take me shopping for fabric so she could make a few things for Curran {I'm wearing something Aunt Mary made me in pretty much every picture of me on this blog from when I was little}. I know I will never be as good as her, but she inspires me! Luckily she was able to come sit in the class with me and further explain things once we got home.

This past Monday we actually got to cut out our patterns and start pinning the dresses together, and since I am a hands-on learner, things are slowly starting to make sense to me.


Pinning my pattern

Two halves! Don't worry...one side is supposed to be bigger than the other. In the words of our teacher, the back has to fit around "a little junk in the trunk."

Katharyn pinning her pattern 

Christopher starting to cut out her fabric

Stay tuned for future installments. Next week we are putting the dress together! I know you are on the edge of your seat!

4 comments:

Emily Ferris said...

How fun!! I've always wanted to learn how to sew - even though I think I'll be terrible at it! But, I agree ... it's a lost art!

Life At 1604 said...

If I had the space, I would teach a sewing class to all of the waterbaby moms! Next playdate perhaps? Haha!

Let me know how you like the class. I'm thinking about doing the smocking class in August.

Sarah Denley said...

I took a beginner's sewing class back in the Spring. It is like a foreign language and I felt like you- like everybody else had at least some experience. I never knew that about the back being bigger...we made tops and skirts!

Brooke said...

I don't know why, but "the junk in the trunk" comment made me die out laughing. I don't think Curran has much "junk" to cover! ;)