Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sewing 102

This past Monday at sewing class we got to use the machine for the first time.



Eeep! I was nervous!  :) It was the first time I have ever used one, and I did not have a clue what I was doing. I know sewing is not rocket science, but it kind of seems like it at first. :) The teacher ran through how to thread the machine super fast, so there is no way I would be able to do that on my on. She also gave us a very brief crash course on how to work the machine. She gave us some scraps to practice on, and I was so intimidated. Now if you are an expert seamstress, then you probably think I'm being a bit dramatic, but just remember that I have NO prior experience in this arena. But it ended up being pretty easy. I was proud of my little square. I said I was going to keep it to use as a cocktail napkin. :)

The seam looks crooked in this picture, but it wasn't that bad. 

Here's another picture...the first thing I ever sewed!

Then the teacher gave us scraps in the shape of a neck and armhole so we could practice sewing on a curve.

Not too bad if I do say so myself.  :)


Then it was time to start working on our outfits. I kept my machine on the slowest speed setting and went to work. It really wasn't too hard, but I did have to call the teacher back to my little corner about 85,000 times to ask questions or clarify instructions. But after about 2 hours, I almost finished my jumper. I just have to finish the hem, make the button holes, and sew on the buttons next week. I was very excited with how it turned out, and I'm glad C will be able to wear it without looking like a freak {I hope anyway...it may be too soon to say that}.


The dress is reversible, but the colors are not showing up well in this picture.

For me, this night of sewing brought such a sense of accomplishment! I could tell that both Katharyn and Christopher were pleased with their work, too, and it was such a nice feeling! I really hope that sewing is a skill I can develop and hone over time. I signed up for the intermediate class which starts in a few weeks! So get ready...lots more boring sewing posts to come!

2 comments:

Life At 1604 said...

ML! I'm super impressed! That is so good! Seriously. Either you are really good, or I'm a terrible teacher. It takes 2 hours just teaching my 13 and 14-yr old students how to thread the machine! And then, half of them still forget the next time they sew. I can't believe that you did all of that in 2 hours! Good work!!!

Jeanne & Martin said...

Very impressive!!! Once you master it, you'll have to give me lessons. It was great seeing you and Curran the other week...it had been WAY too long. Let's do it again soon! Call if yall are ever this way.