I realize this post is boring, and it's really for my benefit {don't you hate it when bloggers say that? :)}, and it's also a plea for advice.
______________________________ ________
During Curran's food strike a few weeks ago {before I realized it was due to illness}, I started trying to come up with more things to feed her. She is getting to where she wants to do everything herself, and a lot of the time as soon as she saw her bowl and spoon come toward her, she would immediately turn her head and refuse it, even though she had no idea what it was. So I tried to give her more finger foods like peas, blueberries cut in half, pieces of cheese, pieces of bread/muffin, etc. She has never really liked peas, but after she refused to eat for about 2 days, she wolfed a ton down at dinner one night, probably because she was so hungry! Since then she'll only eat a few at a time, if any. Oh well.
Now she is back to letting me feed her, although she does like to try to do it herself sometimes. She is actually pretty good with a spoon, but of course I like to guide her so I don't end up with a huge mess to clean up! :)
Here are the things she has tried and liked, in no particular order:
yogurt
string cheese, broken into pieces
hummus
zucchini bread
any kind of muffin
sweet potatoes
yellow squash
butternut squash
green beans
broccoli
carrots
potatoes {cooked with a pot roast}
baked beans
blueberries
watermelon
cantaloupe
bananas
any jarred baby food fruit
{I'm quite sure I'm forgetting lots of things.}
The only things from that list above that she will consistently eat without fuss are yogurt, cheese, and hummus. She is a pretty picky eater, and it makes things hard.
Of course, she loves puffs and yogurt melts, but I really only let her have those when we are out and about and I need to distract her, like at restaurants, doctors' offices, or on road trips. She likes Biter Biscuits and Organic Mum-Mums, too. I like to give her those and put her in her high chair to keep her busy for a few minutes so I can do dishes, cook, etc.
Things she does not really like:
peas
eggs {granted, I have only tried once so I need to try again}
any kind of meat {if you have any suggestions of ways to prepare it, please let me know!!}
avocados
SO, if you have any ideas of ways to incorporate more foods into her diet, please pass along any tips!! I am bad about getting stuck in a food rut and don't let my creative juices flow. :)



4 comments:
Hi Mary Louis, you are doing great! Curran has eaten a great variety! I can tell you what I have done for Simeon.
I really wanted him to eat egg yolks b/c they are healthy, we eat eggs a lot, and I can get them for a good price local and organic. So I take the yolk (my pedi recommended holding off on the white until he's a year) and mash it up and mix it in his yogurt or sour cream and feed him. He loves it, but we all have different tastes.
I'm doing a lot of finger foods so I can have time to eat myself:) He actually really likes beans, even from the can- chili beans, baked, black...
One trick I try if he is having trouble picking up wet things (fruit) I roll it in cereal crumbs. Here is a great resource for ideas, http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
Well, zayd is younger, of course, but we make chicken breasts in the babycook, then mix in one ice cubes worth in whatever he's eating. It's not much but it makes me feel like he's getting some protein. Also, avocado mixes well with bananas if she likes those and really well with strawberries too, especially ripe ones.
I use the Top 100 Baby Purees by Annabel Karmel. Harrison loves the Lovely Lentils recipe which I put chicken in and Baby's First Beef Casserole. It has several other meat recipes, but I haven't had a chance to make them. Each recipe makes sooo much food that I haven't needed to make anything else...yet. I then puree in the BabyCook.
AP's favorite foods are strawberries and bananas. She eats peas, beans, ect. pretty well. Our trouble is meat/protein. More often than not, I end up giving her Kraft Singles and packaged sandwich meat. MY SIL (^) would DIE!
I do know she loves steak, though. Peyton has fed her some of (the outside edge, of course) his Filet at restaurants and two times she just gets this weird expression, leans back in the high chair and just smiles. She's so relaxed that she looks a little drunk- just so overcome with the pleasure of a well prepared steak, I guess. You think I got a diva on my hands??
Post a Comment