Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Honest Scrap Award



I got this award from Sarah Denley, and I have to say I'm quite flattered. I've never gotten a blog "award" before. :)  I know Sarah Denley through her blog, but our moms are friends in real life, and I went to elementary school with her husband, so technically that means that I'm not just a blog stalker since we have real life connections! :)

Rules for the award:


1. Must thank the person who gave you the award and list their blog and link it.

2. Share "10 Honest things" about yourself.

3. Present this award to 7 others whose blogs you find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged you.

4. Tell those 7 people they've been awarded HONEST SCRAP and inform them of these guidelines in receiving the award.

10 Honest Things:

1. Being a mother has been the single greatest experience of my life. Nothing makes me happier than seeing my baby smile from ear to ear when she sees me after work each day.

2. That being said, motherhood has not always been easy for me. In the early days after Curran was born, I was envious of other new moms who I thought had it easier than me. Curran was crying all the time, my hormones were all over the place, I was in so much pain from delivery, and I was getting very little sleep. I would read/hear about other moms who were "glowing" and "so in love with their child" and, although I of course loved C more than anything, I had a tough time adjusting to my new life and was jealous of the people who seemed to do it seemlessly. I wondered why I was the only one who seemed to be having a tough time. My mom was constantly reminding me that nothing about motherhood is easy. Luckily, those days have passed and things have gotten much easier. And of course I am very thankful for all I have!!

3. I know I'm neurotic and a nag, and I'm afraid that those qualities are getting worse the older I get. Poor John.

4. Even though I can have a short fuse with her sometimes, I love my twin sister and don't know what I would do without her. Although I'm not sure if I could handle two babies at once, I think it would be fun to have twin girls who would experience a similar relationship to ours.

5. I love TV and probably watch entirely too much (although it has been considerably less since the babe was born). I got a TV for Christmas in 9th grade and basically didn't emerge from my room for the next 4 years. My mom threatened to take it away several times. I still have the same TV (14 years later) in my guest bedroom. All the numbers are worn off the remote though. :)

6. I love to read and do not like to be bothered while doing so. I am no fun on car trips (and am constantly reminded of that) or at the beach. If you ask me a question while I am reading a book, I will not even hear you. Christopher can attest to that.

7. I have a one-track mind like a man. I try to multitask but am never very successful. So I am better to stick to one task at a time.

*Is it "one-tract" or "one-track". Oh well.

8. It is hard to come up with 10 honest things. Am I supposed to be being philosophical or does any ole honest thing count? This is why I never did that "25 things about me" list on Facebook. I am just not that interesting.

9. I don't pray as much as I should. I used to have trouble going to sleep at night, so I would always say really long prayers then, but now I pretty much fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow or about 3 lines into my prayers, so I am trying to get better about praying at random times during the day.

10. I got a lot of flack from my previous colleages about changing jobs to a position that many would consider a "step down." But I really don't care. If I had it my way, I would be home all the time with my daughter, so being able to work only 3 days a week is a blessing to me!

Whew, I'm worn out. Ok so here is who I'm passing the award to in no particular order. This feels like a lot of pressure. I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings. And please don't feel like you have to do this if you don't want. It has taken me my whole lunch hour.

Samantha- it really goes without saying, but she is always brutally honest, even in the toughest of times.
Lora- I feel like our babes are kindred spirits and she pretty much tells it like it is.
Holland- I have really enjoyed reading her blog, and went back and read almost every post. Since we don't know each other in real life (but have connections! :) ), I think that probably makes me a blog stalker, but that's ok, I can admit it.
Callie- She's inspiring. Read her blog. And we don't know each other, but since she works in our Cancer Center here at UAB, we do have connections that way (and through BSC. I am all about the connections today.) And I did meet her a few weeks ago, although she probably doesn't remember that.
Erin and Brooke-being twins, I'm sure you got lumped together your whole life, and I'm doing it again. Your blogs are a nice mix of babies, shopping tips, and recipes (which I have used! B-I'm trying out the spiced sweet potatoes tonight!).
Mary K.- childhood friend whose blog I recently found. She has such a precious son with a sweet story.
Kim Arnold- She doesn't know me, but I went to camp with her daughter who her blog is about. Another inspiring story. Even though she doesn't know I exist, and therefore doesn't read my blog, I'm giving it to her anyway.

DONE!

4 comments:

The Granthams said...

Well thanks, Mary Louis! I've never gotten a blog award, either, so what a nice first. :-)

Holland said...

Thanks so much!! That was such a pleasant surprise tonight as I was scrolling through all of my favorite blogs...
One of my favorite things about your blog is that it's honest. I feel like so many people sugar coat things so much that they're just hard to read. Being a new mom isn't exactly easy... Thanks again!
-holland

Lora G said...

Thanks, ML! I will surely post my new award and use it to spill some truth, and I totally agree with number 2, felt the exact same way!! One day our star-crossed babies will meet, and it will be wonderful!

Erin Stephenson said...

You're too sweet - thanks! I am sure it will take me a whole month to actually post something in response, so telling you thanks now. Promise I will get to this, but it may take a while!