Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

First Getaway for the Mama

This weekend I spent my first night away from the babe since she was born. It was my friend Morgan's 30th birthday,


so we took a girls' trip to New Orleans. I figured I could probably only leave the baby for one night, so I drove to Jackson on Friday so I could leave Curran with my parents on Saturday. (John went on a weekend fishing trip with the boys.)

Every year the Governor's Mansion, the Old Capitol, and the Manship House (a historic home in Jackson) get decorated for Christmas and open up for tours. So on Friday night my mom and I took Curran for her first Christmas tour of Jackson. It was a little disappointing though. Mom told me to "put on a little lipstick and fix up cute" before we went to the Governor's Mansion because she grew up in Yazoo City with the governor and wanted to introduce him to her granddaughter. Usually the governor is there greeting guests, but of course this year he was no where to be found. So I got fixed up for nothing. But the mansion is really pretty, and it's actually the second oldest governor's mansion in the country that people still live in. You're welcome for that fun tibit.

It also snowed Friday night! It was so pretty and actually stuck for a while. Saturday morning I really wanted to take pictures of Curran in her first snow, but I was a bad mom and didn't get any. I knew I would have to hold her for the pictures, and I looked like Who Shot Shorty in my pajamas and bed-head. Then once I got dressed she was taking a nap so I didn't want to disturb her, and I was trying to get out of town at a decent hour.

I left for New Orleans on Saturday and got down there late that afternoon. We shopped a little bit and then we had drinks at The Roosevelt Hotel. It was so pretty and all decked out for the holidays. And the highlight of the evening was seeing Nicholas Cage and his wife walk in. My friend Prim said she was going to see if ole Nic would take a picture with Morgan for her birthday, and I was like "haha that'd be funny, " thinking she was kidding. But oh no, the next thing I knew Prim had taken off towards Mr. Cage. Apparently he said yes he would take a picture, so Prim headed back over to our table to get Morgan and her camera. At that moment, I looked over at Nicholas Cage and his wife we high-tailing it out of the bar. I guess he had changed his mind about the picture. But he was no match for Prim and Morgan because they ran him down and got the picture.




His pose cracks me up! He's probably learned the hard way that those pictures could easily end up in some trashy magazine saying "Nicholas Cage out on the town with another woman!" even though his wife was right next to him. Anyway, we were all starstruck and it was fun. We ended the night with a late dinner at August, and had brunch Sunday at Commander's Palace. We definitely ate well!




Although I missed Curran terribly, it was so fun to get away for a little while with the girls! And I knew she was in good hands with my parents.

I'm just glad I made it there and back safely! On the way down to NO, I almost ran out of gas. The only time I have ever put gas in my car was the day we bought it because John always takes it and fills it up. It is just something he always does. So I have gotten in a bad habit of never looking at the gas gauge. We'll be at home and John will ask how much gas I have, and I never know. That's awful, I know. The night before I left for New Orleans, I reminded myself that I would need to get gas the next day, but then I forgot. So I was driving on Saturday and all of a sudden I looked down at my dash and saw that the empty light was on. So I clicked to the trip computer to see how many miles I had left before I ran out of gas, and it said 4!! I started freaking out, but luckily there was an exit up ahead. Good old Kentwood, LA, home of Brittney Spears. By the time I got to the exit it said I could go 1 more mile. Yikes. Thank goodness someone was looking out for me.

Then on the way home to Jackson, this guy kept flashing his brights at me. I couldn't figure out what he was trying to tell me so I kept going. Right as I was getting back into town, another guy pulled up next to me and was mouthing something and pointing. It was dark so it took me about a minute to realize he was telling me to turn my lights on. I had been driving in the dark for about an hour with my low beams on. I did think that the road looked kind of dark, but my lights are automatic so I thought they were on. Whoops. Now none of yall will ever want to ride with me, but I promise I am a responsibile driver! I don't know what has gotten into me lately. Then Monday morning I was trying to leave Jackson to head back to Birmingham and I lost my car keys for an hour. I finally found them in a spot where both my mom and I had already looked twice. When things like that happen, I figure it's God's way of protecting me from something that might have happened had I left on time. Or at least that what's I tell myself so I won't get more annoyed by the situation.

*Sorry no pics of Curran in this post.

3 comments:

Emily Ferris said...

so glad you had a fun getaway!
(Happy Birthday, Morgan!)

Megan McKenzie said...

Hey Mary Louis -
I stumbled upon your blog somehow and your last post was so funny that I had to come out of the secret blog stalker shadows. I hope that didnt come off as too creepy. Or at all creepy for that matter. Anyway, I choked on my water reading about how you almost ran out of gas. I actually have run out of gas while driving my best friends aunts Nissan Quest {long story}. The van conked out right in the middle of a busy highway. Yes!!! When we got out to inspect {the gas tank maybe. I dont know} we left both doors open and almost caused a huge wreck as the passing cars attempted to avoid the van and its "wings" all spread out in all their glory. Theres nothing like leaving your car {or van in our case} in the middle of a busy highway and making the treck to a gas station. Or the long walk of shame back with a bright orange gas tank in hand. Nice. So glad you never got to that point. LOVE the fact that you filled up in Kentwood. Story only would have been better if you saw Sean Preston driving around town in a tricked out Escalade.

Adore your blog. You are hilarious!!!

Megan

Mary Louis Quinn said...

Megan, I read PLENTY of random blogs, so no, I don't think it's stalkerish! :) Glad to have you!