Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Review (I was going to title it Christmas Recap but everyone else has already done that! :) )

We went to Jackson for Christmas this year (because John's family lives in Memphis and mine is in Jackson, we rotate holidays). I was so glad to be able to celebrate Curran's first Christmas with my family! Our family still celebrates Christmas the way we have since I was little: we go to Christmas Eve Mass at 5:15 and then we go over to my aunt and uncle's house for dinner.  I love the Christmas Eve service at our church. The music is always so pretty, and it just brings back lots of good memories from my childhood. I can remember being so giddy during church thinking about Santa coming the next day. :) We always sing O Come All Ye Faithful and Angles We Have Heard on High, two of my faves, and I always get teared up when I listen to the words. I am a softie always, but especially at Christmas and Easter.

After church, we went over to my aunt and uncle's house for dinner. The food is always delish, and every year my sister and I enjoy looking through all their Christmas cards (they get tons of cute photo ones) because we never got a lot at our house growing up. People always make fun of us for doing it, but we do it every year without fail.

Another thing that was part of the tradition over there was wearing Christmas hats (like a Santa hat, sparkly headband, etc). They were just a joke but it was always fun seeing my granddaddy in a sparkly sequin cap. No one really wears the hats anymore, but my Aunt Janie still has them. So this year she searched for a hat for Curran. She found a Santa hat for C, but the hat came with an outfit, so she had to buy the whole thing. We were dying to see what the outfit looked like, but it was out in her car.

Curran and my cousin Mary Mitchell





We also always have English crackers (the game/toy, not the food). You pop open the cracker and there is a toy inside as well as a paper crown and some riddles. You have to put on your crown and we take turns reading out riddles. Don't we sound like a fun bunch? :)






When we got home from dinner, I set out C's loot from Santa. My parents still leave out presents for us from "Santa" like they always have (though now that we're older, there is considerably less stuff). I knew Curran wouldn't have a clue what was going on, but I still wanted to get a her a few things. I ended up spending a little more than I planned, but it was so fun. It made me so excited for the years to come!

These are her gifts after everything was opened. I forgot to get a before shot of just her Santa gifts.


I mainly got her some books, a few toys, and some outfits for this winter and spring. I also got her a Sophie the Giraffe teether (thanks for the idea Erin), and it was by far her favorite gift! My sister and parents got her some really cute dresses for next summer and fall, and my parents got her the cutest little ladybug scooter. I can't wait until she is old enough to push it and ride it!









Taking the ladybug out for a test drive.


"What am I supposed to do with this thing?"


She's figuring it out...




Perhaps the most generous gift given to C by my mom was a pair of scissors. Scissors??? you ask. But these aren't just any old scissors...these are a pair of puppy dog scissors that were mine when I was little. My sister had red ladybug scissors, and my brother had green frog ones. My mom still has them and has guarded them like they are precious jewels. During all my sister's wedding festivities this summer, the ladybug pair went missing and she seriously called everyone who had been at our house to see if they had seen them. It was crazy. They did turn up eventually (I know you are relieved). So you can imagine my surprise when I pulled my old pair out of Curran's stocking. I kinda thought my mom would regret her generosity and become an Indian giver before we left town, but alas they are back in Bham with us now.

John and I got each other a Mac for Christmas. Well, it's really for me (don't tell John) since John has a work laptop and my computer is an ancient desktop with every virus known to man on it. It won't even let me go to certain websites like Walgreens, CVS, Target, or Shutterfly. Messed up, I know. So I am tres excited to have a shiny new laptop for the first time in my life!!

I took our picture using Photo Booth (yay!) but I had to hide behind C since I was lookin' scary!


So that about sums up our weekend. We had a great time visiting and eating and relaxing, and I am sad it went by so fast! I feel like I just put up all my xmas decorations and am not ready to take them down! I usually don't take them down until January 6th at the earliest, and it is my pet peeve when people take them down the day after Christmas (so don't tell me if you do! :)  ). Haven't you peeps ever heard of the 12 days of Christmas?? They last until the Epiphany on January 6th. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.

Happy New Year everyone!

4 comments:

Sarah Denley said...

Um, okay, your blog is basically turning into QVC for me. That ladybug is adorable. Where did IT come from.

I have looked around her for the pj's and can't seem to find any. If you are in that shop, I'd love to get some for next year (18mo)....I will send you a check that day! Ha! But PLEASE don't make a special trip.

P.S. Her coloring reminds me so much of AP!

Now...do you know where the ladybug came from? We were going to get AP something similar, but nowhere near as cute!

Mary Louis Quinn said...

I think mom and dad got the ladybug at the Playpen. I will make sure, though. And I will go see if they have those pj's in 18 mo and I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Brooke Maedel said...

Looks like C racked up! Love all her new outfits!

Sarah Denley said...

Thanks so much, Mary Louis! I forgot to say that the scissors thing cracked me up. Sounds like a weird quirk my family would have and looking at the Christmas card....HILARE.

Honestly, that is why I love reading blogs--hearing great anecdotes like that.