Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

First Day Back

I thought I would do a quick recap on how my first day back went.

Getting everyone ready and out of the door on time actually went really well, much better than I expected. It probably helped that I had done a whole lot the night before to prepare. Also, Sallie Cate woke up at 5:45 to eat, so that was the perfect time. I fed her and put her back to sleep and then was able to pretty much get all the way ready before Curran woke up. I got her ready while John was in the shower, and then woke up SC and got her ready. John went with me to drop off the girls. It went pretty well until I had to say goodbye to SC, and then I broke down. And I cried all the way to work. As much as I cry, you would really think I would have waterproof mascara. I'm not sure I had a stitch of makeup left by the time I got to work.

I felt a little self-conscience walking into work because I looked like a pack mule. I had my purse {which I had not used once in the last 12 weeks and almost forgot to take}, my big pump bag, and 3 separate lunch sacks: one with my actual lunch, once with some snacks and other things, and this new freezer bag thing I bought to keep my milk and pump parts in during the day}. Plus I was carrying my cup of coffee. {On the way out at the end of the day, I was carrying the same load except instead of coffee it was a bottle of water, and this little 90 year old lady who was on the elevator with me said, "You need anything else to carry?" So I know I was a sight.}

Anyway, once I got to my office I couldn't remember the passwords to any of my computer programs, so I had to call the IT dept. So then I had to reset all the passwords, but an hour later I couldn't remember what I reset them to, so I had to call them back. I probably called them 4 times yesterday so I know they think I'm crazy.

Then when I had to pump, it took forever for the adminstration office to find the key to the lactation room. I am so thankful for that room because when I returned to work after Curran, I had a private office to pump in. Even after I switched jobs, I was still able to use my old office because they didn't hire anyone in my position for over a year. In my current job however, we sit in cubicles so I don't have a private place to pump. They just opened up the lactation room on the 1st floor {I'm on the 4th floor, so it's a bit of a hike, but that's ok}, so I'm glad to have a place to go! Anyway, as soon as I got to the room and was getting my things unpacked, I dropped one of my breas t shields on the floor. At least there is a bathroom attached where I could wash it, but it still grossed me out.

Then mid-morning, my supervisor called me to tell me that my CPR certification expires on Monday and I can't work without it. Oh, but the last CPR class was this past Friday and the next one isn't until the end of July. Um, ok. Why am I just hearing about this today? Luckily I found one for yesterday afternoon over at the hospital, so I frantically called to see if I could join the already full class. They put me on the waitlist but said to come anyway because there were always no-shows. I hated to miss out on more than 2 hours of clinic yesterday afternoon on my first day back, but I didn't really have a choice.

I felt very unorganized and overwhelmed most of the day, so I was glad when it was over. I couldn't wait to get to my girls! SC looked a little rough when I picked her up. Not sure if she was just tired or what. Her teacher {there are 3 teachers and each one is assigned to a couple of babies} texted me when she was leaving {she works the 7a-4p shift so I see her in the morning but not in the afternoon} and said that SC had a great day and acted like she had been to school before- that she "came with her game face on" and just went right along with everything. She said that she cooed and talked all morning and loved socializing. :) She said SC took her bottles well and had some good naps. So I was very relieved to hear that.

She stayed awake the whole ride home, but as soon as I got her out of her car seat she fussed for a second and then went right to asleep in my arms, so I know she was worn out. I was glad to have that snuggle time with her, and enjoyed rocking her to sleep last night.

This morning went really well again, and I made it to work a little early. Drop off today was fine because SC was asleep in her car seat, so I didn't have to hand her over or really even get a chance to say goodbye, so I didn't cry or anything. And the work day was much better, thank goodness. As much as I will miss being at home, I have to admit that it feels good to get back into our normal routine, and I can already see that as each day passes, it will get easier.

I had so many friends send such sweet texts, comments, emails and facebook messages yesterday, and that made me feel so good and definitely cheered me up. Also one of my best friends brought some goodies by last night and so did my sister. It was such a nice surprise and made my day! I am so blessed to have such thoughtful friends who made my day a little brighter!

And I am so glad that my sister can check on Sallie Cate twice a day {she drops off after and picks up before me}, and Katharyn checks on her in the afternoons when she picks up Louis. It makes me happy  that see gets to see a couple of extra people during the day who love her lots.

This is the picture her teacher texted me today. :)
{sorry it's blurry}

So we have survived the first two days, but I will be SO glad when this week is over! :)


1 comment:

Katharyn said...

I love seeing my SC at school. It completes my afternoons! I am still laughing about how tickled Ms.Vette got over the baby doll she gave to SC for the picture. She is so funny! We are blessed to have her as a teacher! I am glad y'all have made it through the week. I know you will be glad to be off with them over the next several days!