Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 13, 2010

December Playgroup

Weekend before last, Curran and I hosted playgroup at our house. I figured it would be the perfect opportunity for C and I to make some sugar cookies together for the first time. I wasn't sure it was the best activity for a 16 month old, but we ended up having fun! And I actually got some cookies made after I kicked her out of the kitchen. :)


Sporting her apron from Reid.


I have never iced cookies before {I usually use sugar sprinkles}, so I got a recipe from a friend. We actually didn't end up serving any of the cookies C helped me make because I didn't know that you are supposed to ice cookies after they bake. I iced mine before-hand, and to say they were ugly when they came out of the oven was an understatement {not only were they ugly but the icing looked like some sort of scary science project gone bad--although they tasted yummy :) }. Thank goodness I had some dough left over to make some more.

At first C was a little leery about the cookie dough. She touched the flour, and I think it freaked her out. But when I handed her to rolling pin she got to work. That rolling pin was mine when I was little, and my mom sent it to me with some of our old cookie cutters before Halloween. I have had them on a shelf where she can play with them, so she was very familiar it already. She knew exactly what to do.



C also figured out how to use the cookie cutters pretty quickly. Here she is arranging them on the dough {I had to press them down, though}.

I don't think C realized that the dough was edible until she saw me sneak a bite. I thought I was being so sly, but she must have noticed me because then she wanted a taste. After that, her hand was moving non-stop trying to get a pinch. So I had to banish her from the cookie making so I that I have some dough left to work with. :)


For our playgroup, I got little ornaments to give to the kids as favors.

C showing off her snazzy red shoes!



Curran is such a big girl these days. She can now get on and off her ladybug scooter by herself. I remember thinking when she got it that it would be FOREVER until she could actually ride it by herself. Well "forever" has arrived.






Annie Wilson


Liam


John Clarke loved that Santa balloon






And Perry loved C's baby doll! He is going to be such a good big brother one day! {and everyone at playgroup is going to be a big brother/sister in a few months except for C and Perry :) }

We were hoping to get some pics of the babies in their cute Christmas duds, but you
can imagine how that went.

This is the best we got. I think Liam was too interested in practicing his new walking skills.


This picture cracked me up...all the kids were looking at Liam running away.



The kids were also very entertained by our dogs.


Perry and Annie Wilson enjoyed relaxing in C's new chair (which is supposed to be from Santa but I gave it to her early :) }

One mom had the idea of doing a Secret Santa between the kids. Then someone else suggested we do something charitable instead, so we collected some toys for Toys for Tots. I thought that was a really good idea and I'm glad we did it!

Curran and I had a great time seeing everyone, and I'm so glad we have this special group of friends!

2 comments:

Sarah Denley said...

I think it's hilare that you iced the cookies before baking them; espesially since I consider you should a cookie making pro!

Curran looks SO advanced with that rolling pin and cookie cutters. We've yet to tackle anything like that!

Brooke said...

This post really made me laugh. I L-O-V-E the picture of all the kiddos looking at Liam running away. That is SO funny! I have to make cookies for a thing at school Thursday, and I quickly thought about letting Perry help me, but I was afraid of how it would go. Thanks to Miss C's success helping you, I can't wait to get Mr. P in the kitchen!! Can't wait to see ya'll again!