When I got home on the first day, I asked John if he could be a stay at home dad. He paused for about 10 seconds and then said, "Well I couldn't get anything done." I'm glad he now has a glimpse into what my days at home with C are like. I know that he knew it was hard work, but now he knows first hand why I don't have a hot meal ready and waiting when he gets home (note-- he is very understanding and has never made any remarks about me not cooking very often or wondering why something didn't get done around the house). But I'm glad he got to experience it for himself. The house did look like a wreck when I got home though: bed unmade, dishes in the sink, dirty bottles on the counter, a million dirty outfits on the twin bed in C's room, changing table cover peeled off halfway to cover soiled area and bare pad exposed...you get the idea. I grabbed my camera so as to document and he saw me and said, "Please don't put this in your blog." So although I just had to write about it, I won't post the pictures. :) My house may not be dusted and deep cleaned regularly anymore, but I hate clutter and always pick up after myself. I like for everything to be in its place (or, ya know, stuffed in a drawer or closet).
Note-- my rambling will probably annoy you. Read on with caution:
Sometimes juggling the duties of being a (part time) working mom, wife, and homemaker can get overwhelming. After I have worked a 10 hour day, I go pick up the babe, get home, wash and put away all my pumping supplies, clean bottles from that day, get bottles ready for the next day, figure out dinner, entertain fussy baby, feed baby cereal, bathe baby, nurse baby, put baby to bed, do a gazillion loads of laundry or fold clothes that have been in dryer for 2 days, eat dinner, do dishes, put pacifier back in mouth of screaming baby, get baby stuff ready for school the next day, iron/write thank you notes/clean house/put up xmas decor or whatever the special for that day is, make lunch for the next day, get ready for bed, crash into the bed, eyes start to shut, baby starts crying, go put pacifier back in, go back to bed and repeat cycle x 4, wake up to feed fussy baby, go back to sleep (if I'm lucky), wake up and start the day all over. Whew!
And I am NOT complaining...although it may sound like I am just slightly. :) It's just exhausting sometimes! Of course I would NOT have it any other way! I am so very thankful for a healthy baby and supportive husband! (It's not like John is just sitting around watching TV--well not all the time. He's usually doing whatever I've asked him to do.) I really do know how blessed I am! And I love having two days off to "rest," if you can call it that! :) I know all other mamas out there could probably have written this as well, so I know I'm not alone. I just need to get if off my chest sometimes. :)
OK, that's enough smiley faces for one post.
~~~~~~~~~



2 comments:
I definitely feel like I could have written this. It's INSANE the amount of stuff we do between work, feeding, entertaining, and keeping a decent house! Nick is keeping Zayd on MLK day. I can't wait to see how that goes!
Good luck to Nick! I think he will have a greater appreciation for all you do! He thinks he understands, but just wait! :)
Post a Comment