Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Please Vote!

I'm sure many of you have seen links to the Pepsi Refresh Project on places like Facebook. My friend Sheela passed along a link to vote for a project from a clinic where she used to work when she lived in California {the Wylie Center}. The project aims to provide evaluation and therapy, among other things, to mothers experiencing postpartum depression. It came about because of a mother who killed her child while in a state of postpartum psychosis. The tragedy occurred while Sheela was still working there. Here is a brief description of their project and instructions on how to vote:

"To All:

This are my FINAL DAY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE in the lives of women experiencing a mental health disorders after pregnancy and their families. I implore you to VOTE TODAY on your cell phone and every e mail address at your disposal.

Our group began in 2009 after the alleged murder of a toddler by his mother during postpartum psychosis. This was a middle class, educated family with a social support network and health insurance. Truly, if it can happen in their family, it can happen in any family, but most women are not routinely assessed for this disorder and this is what winning the Pepsi Refresh Challenge would change.

I love animals, but pets are winning out over people. YOUR DAILY VOTE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. If you haven't signed up with Pepsi Refresh, it is terribly easy and I strongly encourage you to send this information out over your Facebook, Twitter or whatever other social networking means you have at your disposal.

Instructions are below and I wholeheartedly thank you for your assistance this holiday season. Watch the video we posted on You Tube and at Pepsi Refresh and encourage others to watch it as well.

Thanks for your anticipated support.

Pepsi Grant Instructions on How to Vote
Click on the hyperlink below and it will take you directly to the Pepsi Refresh so that you may vote for the Inland Empire Perinatal Mental Health Collaborative project. (Yes, we know that postpartum is spelled wrong, but if we correct it, you won’t get to the right site. Sorry).

"Speak up when you're down" giving a voice to mothers with Postpardum
Pepsi Refresh Everything

Another option is to type in www.refresheverything.com/wyliecenter  and vote from here.

Another option is to type "The Wylie Center" and at the middle of the page you can click to get to www.refresheverything.com/wyliecenter.


Voting begins Nov 1 through Nov, 30, 2010. Once you are signed up you can vote up to 10 times IN EACH FUNDING CATEGORY. You may only vote one time for the $250,000 category per e mail address or mobile phone.

VOTE VIA MOBILE PHONE

In your “TO” Section type in: 73774

(Pepsi)

In the body type: 103978

(for IEPMHC)

Standard text messaging rates on your phone will apply

VIEW VIDEO ON YOU TUBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yW0m-24JLA

---------------------------------

Today is the last day for voting, so please click on this link to vote www.refresheverything.com/wyliecenter {and please ignore the fact that they misspelled "postpartum" :) }. Please, please vote if you have a spare minute today. And watch the YouTube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yW0m-24JLA.  





There was a tragic story a few years ago here in Birmingham about a young mother who killed her 7 week old son and then herself because of PPD. Her husband was a resident at the hospital where I work. It was so sad, and just hit home that PPD can affect ANYONE!

I was pretty "blue" after C was born, and I remember telling my sister while we were out on a walk one day that I was scared I had PPD. I wondered how someone would know if they had it until it was too late?? I never had any thoughts about hurting myself or my child, but I definitely felt like I might have had more than the postpartum blues. Looking back, I know I didn't have PPD, and the fog definitely lifted after about 2 weeks. But it makes me so mad that there is no followup with an OB/GYN until 6 weeks postpartum! The most info I got about PPD was a pamphlet upon discharge from the hospital. No screening. No followup phone call from the hospital. Nada. For a lot of people, 6 weeks is too late. And actually, PPD was never even brought up at my 6 week checkup. Having a new baby is hard. There needs to be more support. So please vote for this worthy project!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I was TERRIFIED that I would have PPD!! Even though I wasn't really sad or ever had "scary" thoughts, I constantly told Justin that if he thought I was ever acting funny to get Perry and tell my Mom. And I definitely agree that there should be a sooner follow up after birthday!