Exactly one year ago today. :)
Her vocabulary continues to expand, however most words aren't very clear. She still speaks a lot of gibberish. As my dad says, English is her second language. :) But she does consistently use the same words {or sounds} to indicate objects. She has started using the dreaded word "no." Although at this point it's still kind of cute. :) She says it very quickly and puts more emphasis on the 'n' sound and not the long 'o'. So it sounds like a quick, snappy "nnnnno." Luckily she doesn't say it too often. :) New words also include: eye, mouth {mou}, nose {no}, ice {sounds like eye}, tree {tee or chee} and more {mo} which she also signs. Other words have gotten more clear; she says baby very distinctly and draws out the 'y' sound like "babyyyyy". She also clearly says "bye" instead of "ba."
Her eating is pretty good, but I am bad to get stuck in a food rut and feed her the same things over and over again. I would say right now her favorite meal is spaghetti. She is always, without a doubt, more interested in what is on someone else's plate than her own, and she has gotten pretty adventurous lately. For example, when we were home for Thanksgiving, my dad made his famous turtle soup, and she sat in my lap {after she had already had her dinner} and ate several spoonfuls. It has a very rich flavor so I was surprised she liked it. Also, she ate some blue cheese crumbles out of my salad. The other day during one of our picnics, I was eating left over barbeque, and she hopped in my lap and ate way more of it than I did. Now if I had put that on her high chair try, I bet a million dollars she wouldn't have eaten it. :)
Sitting at the kids table on Thanksgiving.
She is still very into music and dances every time she hears a song, no matter where we are. I can't wait to get her into ballet! She also started this new thing where she dances with her guns out, as the boys like to say. See below.
Playing with the Jack-in-the-box with Big.
She still loves to read and has many favorite books. The main ones right now are the Llama Llama books {and Santa is bringing her two more!}, Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words {thanks SD!}, Spot Goes to the Beach {she picked that one out from the bookstore by herself}, any Eric Carle book, and Goodnight Moon.
She has enjoyed reading to herself lately. I love hearing that sweet little gibberish, and I love the way she turns the pages: with her ring finger. :)
As of yesterday, she is completely off the bottle!! About time, I know. She was ADDICTED to that morning bottle {the only time of the day she got a bottle since she turned 1}, and we have had the hardest time dropping it. Admittedly, it's my fault and I could have toughened up during the whole process and gotten her to drop it sooner. But her whole life I have always nursed her/given her a bottle when she firsts wakes up and then put her back to sleep {unless it was time to get up to go to work/school}. And to my credit, she wakes up EARLY, like 5:15-5:45. Sometimes she wakes up as late as 6:30, but not often. SO, I have had a hard time giving that bottle up. The few times I tried and went into her room with a sippy cup, she would literally throw herself on the floor in a fit of rage. Not even kidding. So I have been lazy about the weaning since then. But Sunday night, I told John that this was the week. We were getting rid of that bottle come hell or high water. So we hatched a detailed plan of how we were going to accomplish the nearly impossible task on Monday morning, and I am proud to say that it went off without a hitch! Today might have been a little rockier. I could hear her screams of protest about the sippy cup when I was in the shower, but when I got out she was happily sipping away while watching Handy Manny in our bed. We are also working on training her to sleep a little later, like 6:30 or 7. But I will take 6:00 if we can get it! So yesterday when she woke up at 5:15, I went in her room and told her it was still night-night time. I rocked her for a minute and put her back in bed with a few books for entertainment. She ended up going back to sleep until 6:15, so that was progress. And today she slept until 6:15! I'm sure it was a fluke, but we'll continue to work on it.
She is still taking two naps a day, but they are dropping the morning nap at school in January. I am dreading that as nap time is one of my most favorite times of the day! :) And she has been taking really good naps lately, like one nap will be 2-3 hrs and the other maybe 1-1.5 hrs, where she used to only sleep for 1 hr at each nap.
Curran is just so much fun, even with all the fit-throwing, and she makes me laugh every single day. She has such a fun personality, and even when she is being "bad" I get so tickled. I am so thankful that I have had the privilege of being her mother for the past 16 months!
Happy 16 months, CQ!



No comments:
Post a Comment