Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Parent/Teacher Conference

Today John and I went to Curran's school for a parent/teacher conference. You might scoff at the idea of having a parent/teacher conference for infants, but I was secretly {or not so secretly} excited about it. Last week they sent home a progress report on how she was doing in different areas like socialization, langauge, cognitive, etc. Bascially the only "skills" she didn't have checked off were things like standing alone for 1 minute, walking, etc. But the checklist was for infants up to 12 months, so they said not to worry about those things. There were also one or two things that weren't checked off, apparently because she only does them at home, like repeating the same syllable 2-3 times {ma-ma-ma}. All she does at home is say ma-ma and ba-ba, so was surprised that she doesn't do that at school. But they said she was brilliant and way ahead of the rest of the class! Ok, maybe they just said she was doing great and is right on track, but I have been known to interpret things in my own way. :)

We also talked about ways to prepare for her 1 year old class that starts at the beginning of June. I am so sad about C having to leave her current teachers, and I had to hold back the tears when we were talking about it {if you haven't figured out by now, I get teary over just about anything...and on top of that I don't do well with change. I was the one crying during C's orientation, and now I get teary thinking about her changing classes}. Sigh. The good thing about being in the older class is that I don't have to send any food, bottles, nada! It will be nice not to have to worry about all that stuff. And they'll give me a copy of the menu so I can tell them what I do and don't want them to give her. And we are, of course, still welcome to send food from home. So I will be glad to have some control over that area.

They will also have to take naps on cots instead of in a crib. My first thought was that they are going to have to tie C down to keep her on that thing. I'm not sure she'll stay on there willingly. Secondly, I thought that 10 months seems a little young to be on a cot, and I hope they are safe. I didn't say anything, but the teachers did say they "pad" them really well, whatever that means.

SO, in exactly one month {they start transitioning them on May 22nd} my little CurryBug will be in a big girl class, whether I am ready or not. Luckily one of her current teachers will be "floating" in their class, so at least they will have one familiar face for a few more months.

On our way out, I noticed John wasn't with me, so I turned around and he had his face pressed up against the window into C's classroom. All the lights were out for naptime, but of course Miss No Nap was standing up in  her crib checking out the scenery. I'm just glad she wasn't screaming to get out!

5 comments:

Erin Stephenson said...

Reid started sleeping on a cot at 10 months and I was terrified too, but we didn't have any "problems" - other than the fact the he rarely naps either. Top Stitchin' in Homewood has some cute nap mats! :)

Mary Louis Quinn said...

I saw those mats when I was there the other day copying Brooke and getting the exact same tote bag she has. :)

Sarah Denley said...

okay, I REALLY want to hear about what a cot even is....I'm fascinated by this. Clearly, it's some apparatus that is raised of the ground, but no rails right? I'm sure they are very safe, but seriously, how does she not roll off of it?? Haha!

Also, of course she does not say "MaMaMa" at school...I have no idea about "BaBa", though. She seems very articulate for her age!

Thanks a million for the cookie recipe, btw!

Mary Louis Quinn said...

SD, a cot is basically just a little mattress on the floor. I saw the ones at our school, and they looked like they had a little frame that caused them to be about 1-2 inches off the floor (but that was in an older classroom). Who knows how they will get them to stay on those???

Erin Stephenson said...

ML, we can be triplets - I have the flowered market bag too!