Thursday, February 18, 2010
First Baby Food
Not quite two weeks ago I started Curran on baby food. I started with sweet potatoes, and at first she seemed to like them, but after a few bites she started to push the spoon away. So I mixed some with her rice cereal and she ate it right up. When she finished the cereal, I tried to give her a few more bites of the sweet potatoes by themselves, and again, after a few bites she had had enough. I think she is just not used to the runny consistency because I mix her cereal a little on the thicker side. Our pediatrician said to try foods no sooner than every 3 days, so thus far we have tried sweet potatoes, pears, carrots, apples and squash. She did the same thing with all them: after a few spoons seemed done with them. So I have mainly been mixing them with her cereal and giving them to her that way. And then if she still acts hungry after she finishes her cereal, I will give her some more baby food by itself. She seems to like carrots and apples the best so far. And now you all know more than you ever wanted to know about Curran's baby food adventures. :) I want to make her baby food myself, but I figure I need to get a good idea of what she likes and what she doesn't before I go to all that trouble.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Hey - I made a bunch of baby food this past weekend because I think the tubs are too runny (stage 2 is better). M likes his cereal and his food pretty thick. I made peas, green beans, sweet potatoes, mangos, and plums (although they are super tart, so I'm going to have to mix some juice with those). I love the pics - what is it about kids with food on their faces that is so darn cute???
What did you mix your baby food with when you made it? I know I can use BM but I am being stingy and want to save it because I'm afraid of running out. Can you just use water?
yes, ML you can use water! It works best anyway. if you are cooking your own-steaming the veggies works best for peas and green beans and you can use the water left in the bottom of the boiler to get the right consistancy. David never really liked rice cereal so he just ate the food. He is now on stage 2 foods, with stage 1 foods too. I have started mixing bananas in with oatmeal in the morning for breakfast and he likes that.
Be careful with the carrots. David loved them too at first but if you feed them too many they can start to look orange and their poop is really orange too!
I have found that if he doesn't like something I can always mix applesauce in with it and he will eat it!
Yes, water. I have one of those Beaba baby cook machines that you can steam and blend all in one (my mom got it for Erin) but if you just use a pot with a steamer basket then I agree with Olivia, use some of the water from the pot so you get all the good nutrients that were in it. Some things need more water than others - my sweet potatoes needed barely any but M likes his food pretty thick. I don't mix bm even with cereal anymore, because it is too precious for me too. One of his bottle leaked on the way to day care the other morning and I had to go back home and get almost 6 ounces out of the freezer. Ouch! I either mix a fruit puree (or sweet potatoes) with his cereal, or do water with maybe a tiny splash of apple juice. He doesn't like regular rice cereal but he will do oatmeal and I also found a brand of rice that is brown rice and he likes that - Happy Bellies? It has DHA and probiotics. I found mine at Target but I've seen that brand at BRU. Sorry for the Long comment!
Thanks for all the great advice gals! I think maybe next weekend I will embark on the baby food cooking adventure! That will give us another week to try a few more foods. Brooke, I totally feel ya with the spilled bottle...one time John was carrying C's bag and a bottle tipped over. Probably only 1 or 2 ounces spilled but you would have thought the world was coming to an end by the way I reacted! I work too hard for that stuff to be wasted! I mix her cereal with apple juice right now, so she will eat any food that's mixed in there as long as the predominant taste is apples.
I just mixed everything with water. I used breast milk at first, but even as little as I had to pump it was SUCH a pain. As much as I hated starting formula, saying goodbye to ye old pump was super fun!
I've been surprised at how relatively easy making her baby food is. Time consuming? a little. But the savings are great and Peyton seems to think it's much healthier. I'm curious as to which reason you're doing it? If it's the money (which was my primary motivation) I have some pretty good tips.
It is really nice to make it yourself because you get to choose the consistency. The stage one is WAY too runny; honestly, I feel if they need it that liquefied they probably aren't ready for solids.
P.S. Thanks for your sweet comment about my mom. I'll be sure to pass it along to her.
Post a Comment