Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Curran's First Day of School

Today was Curran's first day of "school." I used to think it was funny when people called daycare school even if the child in question was mere months old, but now I'm doing it too. I find myself saying and doing lots of things that I never thought I would say or do now that I have a child. I find myself eating my words quite often. But "school" just sounds better than daycare and makes me feel like she is there for her own benefit and not because I can't keep her myself. Since the day I cried during orientation at her school, I have felt fine about the situation. I have been ready for her to get into a better routine and have consistent caregivers. I did get a little pang of nervousness last night as I was getting all her things organized, but I was surprisingly calm when John and I dropped her off this morning. It wasn't until I got to work that I became just slightly emotional. A lot of the nurses knew I would be dropping C off for the first time this morning, so they were all anxious to hear how it went. Once I started talking about it I got a little teary, but I got over it quickly. It's just weird not to know what she is up to all day. When the grandmothers were keeping her, I could just call home and check on her. I know I can call the school, but I know she is fine and don't want to bother them. But I am very much looking forward to picking her up in a little bit!


She wasn't so sure what to think when we told her she was going to school, but when she heard there would be other babies to play with, she perked up a little bit :)


In other news, I had to go to the doctor today, and they asked if I wanted the H1N1 vaccine. Normally I am all about getting vaccinated, but I hadn't really researched this vaccine yet, so I kind of felt put on the spot. Just hearing about all the neuropathies that occurred in patients who got the vaccine in the 70's made me a little nervous. But I know I have 2 big reasons to get it: I work in healthcare and am a caregiver to someone younger than 6 months old. I am not worried about me coming down with the Swine as much as I worry about giving it to my baby or the immunocomprimised patients I work with. So I bit the bullet and went ahead and got it. So if I come down with something funky, we all know what to blame it on! 

2 comments:

Lora G said...

I know what you mean about the school thing. I make fun of my sister because she calls daycare school, and the one I want to put Z in is called an "early learning center," ha! You are doing great, and Curran is going to love hanging with other babies!

Lora G said...

Okay, that IS tough. He goes 3 hours sometimes, just not consistently. I say, trust your instincts. We had thought that about Z too, and the doctor just confirmed it. He has been a fussy nurser lately, which was my first big sign, and he's always arched his back after he eats. Also, he has been gaining too much weight. I think he has "silent reflux" because he doesn't spit up that much, but he does swallow a lot and he wants to eat a lot for comfort, hence the gaining weight. Anyway, we gave him his first dose last night, and he slept for 5 hours straight, then 3 more, one of the best nights we've had, but today has been a little rough (especially nursing, thank God for the pump!). Anyway, enough rambling, I will let you know the verdict about the Zantac. I hope this helped.