Today Curran went in for her one month check up. I was really interested to see how much she weighed because she had not been to the doctor since her initial check up when she was 5 days old. At that visit, she had gained so much weight since our hospital discharge that they told us we didn't have to come for a month (birth weight 7 lbs 6 ozs, discharge weight 7 lbs 2 ozs, and at 5 days old she was 7 lbs 13 ozs). Today she weighed 10 lbs 3 ozs and was 21 in long! She's a little chub! I always figured I would have a runt baby since I was a runt myself (I only weighed 16 lbs at a year old), but no, she's 80% for weight and 50 % for height. I figured she had to be about 10 lbs because she has outgrown newborn diapers, so I was pretty close. Today she had to get the second Hepatitis B vaccine, and she did great! She only cried right after they gave her the shot and quieted down as soon as I picked her up. I'm dreading the next appt when she has to get 4 shots! Ughhh. Other than that, the doctor talked about colic the rest of the time and ways to deal with it. Unfortunately, we have tried most of her suggestions, and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. But I know we aren't the first to go through this and we won't be the last. I will just be glad when it passes! I did forget to mention in my post yesterday that Curran smiled twice yesterday morning! It was so cute!! She had a few weak smiles this morning but nothing like yesterday. That almost redeemed her from the meltdown she put us through last night, but not completely! :)
So I was thinking about writing about John's diaper changing skills (or lack thereof), but this morning his fate was sealed. He always complains about how Curran uses the bathroom while he's changing her, and I thought that was funny because she never does that when I change her. Then last night I realized why. I have mentioned before how he likes to come to her room with me during the night time feedings, but since he can't do anything to help, he usually just gets in the twin bed in her room and goes back to sleep. Now what kind of wife would I be if I didn't let him help out, so I usually wake him up and get him to change her diaper for me during the feeding. So last night, he got up and got to work. He has got to be the slowest diaper changer ever. He sits there taking his time, talking to her, piddling around, etc, so no wonder she has accidents on him--he is giving her all the time in the world to do so!!. And last night she went to the bathroom (majorly) all over the changing table. So I told him that he just needs to speed up the process and she probably won't have an accident on him. Well this morning when I went in to get the baby because she was crying, I picked her up and felt something really wet on my arm. I looked down at her bed and there was a huge mess! So I put her down and unzipped her Sleep Sack and found her (very full) diaper basically just laying in the bottom of the sack. Well actually it was hanging onto her leg by a thread (or velcro tab, whatever). So apparently getting my half-asleep husband to change Curran's diapers is as good as just putting her to bed naked. I think I will let him sleep from now on and just change her myself.
***This post is not take away from John's parenting abilities. He is a wonderful, hands-on father, and I couldn't do it without him! But we all have our strong areas, and apparently diapering just isn't one of his. :)
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Which doctor do you use at Mayfair? This is Megan; I am signed into my consignment sale acct.
We go to Mary Doyle and have been really pleased so far. She is really sweet! Who does JH see?
He sees Amason, but we have seen Doyle 2x. She is always so good with him. We saw her a few weeks ago when he was sick, and he let her do everything to his ears and stuff and he never cried. If Amason retires, I will def. go to her!
Post a Comment