While I think this age is so fun, it is also incredibly challenging and exhausting! Besides the typical tantrums, we are dealing with her need for independence. While I know this is normal, I have to continually remind myself that at times it is more important to let her do something herself and let her feel accomplished and proud than it is for me to save a minute or two of my time by doing it for her.
She is also into asking questions constantly. Not the "why" questions quite yet, but when we are reading books, for example, she constantly asks "Who's/What's that?" about every person and object on the page, even if she knows the answer. It's hard to even get a few words of a sentence out because I am continually interrupted with "Who's dat? What's dat? Who's dat?" Also, when we listen to music in the car, particularly the Lion King, she will ask "Where's Simba? Where's Mala {Nala}?" if they are not the one singing that exact second. She will ask over and over until I answer her. She also has been asking "what's dat noise?" after every single unfamiliar sound. I don't know why but it always cracks me up.
I feel like she is kind of a picky eater. She eats pretty much all fruits and veggies really well, it's just the protein we struggle with. She loves chicken and pasta {we buy the kind that has lots of protein per serving}, and she eats yogurt well most of the time, but that's about it. She's gotten to where she'll hardly eat grilled cheeses {or cheese in any form. well except for queso at a Mexican restaurant :) }. She won't try PB&J. And forget any other kind of meat. I hate feeling like we feed her the same thing over and over again.
I have mentioned on here before that she is going through a phase of waking up at night. Last week she was waking up twice every night, so I had John take her to the dr to make sure she didn't have an ear infection. Everything was clear, but she still continues to wake up screaming. I don't know if she is having bad dreams or what, but we are just worn out! Some nights she is fine with John getting her back to bed and other nights she screams bloody murder if I'm not the one putting her back to bed. She's also been waking up early and in a VERY bad mood- screaming, very mad and basically inconsolable. It's been hard to deal with and we're not sure how to nip it in the bud. Any suggestions welcome!
She still loves her baby dolls and spends a lot time during the day caring for them . She likes to put them down for naps at various places throughout the house and 'shush' me really angrily if I'm being too loud around them. :)
And right now she is very into all things Christmas, which is SO fun! She frequently requests Christmas music in the car {"Where's Christmas?"}, loves all lights, trees, etc, loves talking about and seeing pictures of Santa Claus {but not seeing him in person!}, and requests Christmas songs at bedtime. She knows that Christmas is Jesus' birthday, and I'm trying to introduce the meaning behind Christmas in easy-to-understand ways. She loves playing with her nativity scenes so I try to use those times as teachable moments. John and I took her on a stroller ride the other night to look at lights in our neighborhood. She had SO much fun and kept saying wow and whoa as loud as she could. She would also say "Wook {look} Daddy, wook daddy, wook daddy!" over and over again. It was so cute and I love how excitable she is!
Keeping Daddy's ears warm while Christmas tree shopping
She is very meticulous when playing with her nativity scene. I will find them all lined up or lying down facing the same direction. It cracks me up.
We are not yet potty trained, or even working on it for that matter. I love how my deadline for potty training was Christmas! Ha! She is just not ready or showing much interest so I don't want to push the issue. We did have one moment this week where she told me she wanted to poop on the potty. {Sorry if that is TMI for some of you.} I was THRILLED and ran her in there. Of course nothing happened. Then she refused to put back on her diaper so I put her in big girl undies for the first time and kind of explained what to do if she needed to go. I left her playing with her tub toys in the bathroom and went back to the kitchen, and not 3 minutes later she came waddling in the kitchen having had an accident.
Some funny things she has said:
- I was outside putting up some Christmas lights the other day, and she came outside and said, "Whatcha doing, sweetie?" I died laughing, so of course she has said it a few more times since then knowing she'll get a chuckle out of me. :)
- I was getting her dressed the other day and she said, "I going to look so cute in this!" She's not short on self-esteem, that one. :)
-On the way home Tuesday night, I told her that Daddy was bringing us pizza for supper. She whined, "I not WANT pizza for supper!" I asked her what she wanted. "I want Baby Jesus." Huh?
Even though she can be incredibly exhausting, we love this little munchkin so much and she keeps us laughing for sure! I can't imagine how boring my life would be without her cute little self.






2 comments:
She is such of a sweet girl. I'm sorry y'all are having night time problems. I know you want to get her sleeping well before your sweet baby arrives. I have the same goal myself. It sounds like maybe she's having night terrors or something. I find Simeon is really clinging to me these days and sometimes he really wants me at night. I usually get up b/c daddy moves too slow for me:) Perhaps it will pass soon. As far as advice I hate to give any, other than try to make it easy on yourself. We have a big enough bed in Simeon's room so we can sleep in there if needed. It's funny how they all develop differently, I feel like Simeon potty trained early but he's a typical boy and not as verbal as girls. For him it was definitely his own time, so for Curran when it clicks she probably won't have many accidents. Merry Christmas!
I laughed pretty hard at the no pizza but Jesus comment. That would be a perfect time to talk with her about her first communion ;).
Post a Comment