Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, October 22, 2010

Big News!

We found out last night that Christopher and Craig are expecting a little...








GIRL!!!!!!!!


John and I are beyond excited to be welcoming a sweet little niece into our family in March!!! And I am SO SO thrilled that Curran will have a girl cousin closest to her in age! 

Chris and Craig found out on Wednesday afternoon what they were having. They planned for us all to come over to their house last night for the big reveal. I was so annoyed that she was making me wait over 24 hours to find out the gender, but my parents came into town last night for the weekend, so Chris wanted us to all find out together. I made sure to give her lots of grief from Wednesday afternoon until Thursday night to let her know how unhappy I was about having to wait to find out whether I was having a niece or nephew. But she was right in that it was more fun to find out with my family.

C & C asked us to wear pink or blue depending on what our guess was. We went over there straight after work, and I didn't really have anything to wear to work in blue or pink, so I wore a blue-gray {really gray} sweater. I thought it was a girl all along, and then a week ago I convinced myself that it was a boy for some reason. I think it started when one of my friends said she thought it was a boy, and then several people who didn't even know Chris called the baby a boy without meaning to. And then I read a blog where the girl was talking about her sister expecting a boy and I got really emotional and convinced myself it was a boy. And I think I also was trying to get myself pumped up in case it actually was a boy since I kinda wanted it to be a girl. I would have LOVED to have a nephew, but the only reason I wanted a girl just slightly more than a boy was so that C would have a girl cousin in case she never has a sister. John wore peach that he said was supposed to be pink, my Dad was wearing a blue shirt even though his guess was girl, and my mom came in with a blue shirt on one arm and a pink one on the other. So clearly none of us played the game exactly right. :) 
Our attempt at a group photo {with a timer set}.

Chris had on pink {her original guess} and Craig wore blue {he also thought it was a girl all along and then changed his mind towards the end}. Right as we were sitting down to dinner, they left the room so they could change into the "right" color. Then they both came back in like this...

\

I obviously would have been excited about either a boy or girl, but even when I had convinced myself it was a boy, I still just couldn't quite picture Chris with a little boy. Not that she wouldn't be a great mom to a boy, she has just always wanted a little girl, and that it what I always pictured her with. 

I told my sister the other day that I never quite understood why aunts were so gaga about their nieces or nephews. Even after C was born and I could see how much Chris {and Craig} loved her, I still didn't really get it. And one time my sister said that she loved C as much as I did,  and at the time I thought to myself that there was no way she possibly could. Well now I TOTALLY GET IT! I love this little girl so much and I know nothing about her! I have been so emotional over the last couple of days {well really since I found out she was on her way}, and now I understand how strong the love is that an aunt has for her niece or nephew. I was just as excited to find out what this little baby was as I was with Curran. The emotions I had with C are so similar to what I have felt with my niece so far. I know no one can love a child like his or her own parent, but this love is stronger than I ever thought it could be! I CANNOT WAIT for her to get here! And start spoiling her rotten!! I pray that this little girl and Curran grow up to be the best of friends and as close as sisters!

Here are some pictures from the evening:




Lovin' on her cousin Sadie

Her 'do is getting a little shaggy.

She was mad I wasn't letting her climb the stairs.

C wasn't sure whether her new cousin was going to be a boy or a girl, so she changed into her pink cousin shirt and wore a blue bow.

My mom labeled herself as "confused."

This was C's reaction to the news that it was a girl!

She was so excited! 
{even if it was just because everyone else was yelling...it was cute nonetheless. :)}


Apparently I missed the group shot when I took C home to put her to bed.



Christopher and Craig, we had such a wonderful time last night! Thank you so much for including us in such a happy moment!! We love you so much and can't wait to welcome our niece in a few months!

3 comments:

Emily Ferris said...

love love love love!! I'm so impressed w/ how creative they were w/ everything ... and your mom is cracking me up w/ her sleeves. I convinced myself it was a boy at the last minute, too, but SO EXCITED for a sweet little girl!!!

love y'all!!
EM

Sarah Denley said...

First, your mom is hilare!

Second, I have to admit I'm a tiny bit jealous. With the way we're planning on spacing our kids, we're going to wait a few years after this one for #3 (and maybe #4). A BIG part of me secretly hopes my sister will be married and in "family planning" mode by that time!

Last, I've mostly Paint.Net to edit our pictures. That's what I use to do the text on Annie's monthly pics and our family pics and for my blog headers. It's a lot like photoshop, but it's free,! It's pretty user friendly, but I'm not sure if there is a version for Macs. I've been playing around with a new program, lately, though. It's called Picnik and you do all the editing online. It's free, too! I think Photobucket is good, too. I've been meaning to experiment some with it!

AB said...

Mary Louis (and Christopher), I absolutely love being an Aunt! There is some responsibility but as an aunt, you can know all sorts of personal things about which even the mother won't ask (and you probably won't tell), and you can have a very personal and loving relationship, and even friendship. The best thing of course, is getting to be a grandparent to the babies of your own babies. Oh my, it takes my breath away to know how much we love you and yours.
Ann H.