Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

We headed to the beach for the long weekend. We joined my parents, Christopher and Craig, and Craig's brother Brian. The only bad thing about traveling on a holiday weekend is the traffic. OH MY WORD. It was just awful both down there and back. However, what made the trip home even more eventful was the fact that the A/C in our car quit working some time while we were at the beach. 


Lately, the air has been kinda slow to get cool, so we left town Monday afternoon thinking after driving for a few minutes it would cool off. WRONG. It continued to blow hot air so we just had to turn it off. John said we should just pretend that we lived in the '50s and we were on our way home from another family vacay without A/C. I had just been thinking the exact same thing {not even kidding}. So I pictured us in our little wood-paneled station wagon, loaded down with hard plastic suitcases while our Collie {picture Lassie} hung her head out of the window.

Unfortunately all that wonderful imagery didn't really work. It just made me really glad we live in times where A/C in cars comes standard. We rolled the windows down, and it really wasn't too bad as long as we kept moving. 


However, holiday traffic being the bear it is, we were in standstill traffic for at least a quarter of the drive back: leaving the beach, in Montgomery, and once again when we got into Birmingham. I really wasn't too concerned with John or me getting too hot, but I just worried about my little CurryBug. So whenever we were stopped, I just fanned her vigorously with a folder I found in the back seat. She wasn't really too fond of me waving that thing in her face, but I tried to reassure her that it was for her own good.

I will say this: I am so glad we purchased a DVD player for the car earlier this summer. I used to say that I would never get one of those, or at least not until my child was a lot older. Well that was in the early baby days when C slept like a champ in the car, and we could usually make it to the beach without her even waking up. GONE are those days. So we purchased the DVD player back in late June before we were going to be traveling for four weekends in a row. At first, it didn't entertain her for too long. But now, she will watch the same Baby Einstein video {Baby Noah} back to back and l-u-v-s it. So I <3 it, too. Now she only sleeps for about an hour in the car {unless we are driving at night}, but we can usually entertain her with the DVD and some books for the rest of the drive. She did remarkably well despite the heat. We did make a pit stop at the Peach Park for some ice cream and a basket of Chilton County peaches to take home. C was more interested in people watching than eating ice cream, though. I have to say that there was some good people watchin'  but she normally loves ice cream. Hmmm. Her daddy would say she probably gets her love of people watchin' from me. I won't argue.

Ok, I have digressed enough {and I swore I would never use that word because I think it is quite possibly the most popular word in bloggy land}. Anyway, here are some pictures from the weekend.  

Curran has turned into such a beach baby. When we first started taking her down to the beach, she really didn't like the sand. Then she got to where she tolerated the sand for a few minutes but would run for the water every chance she got. Now she LOVES playing in the sand and wasn't as interested in being in the ocean or even the baby pool. 


Curran's hair looks kind of auburn in these pictures, but it is actually really light brown in real life. Not sure why it photographs this way some times.








Uncle Craig, Uncle Brian, and Daddy dug Curran a big hole to play in. She loved it and would have stayed there all day if we let her! It was cute to see how C has those 3 guys wrapped around her little finger.

Can you see her in the hole?

There she is!



She liked to climb in and out of it over and over.

This is the first time C actually kept her sunglasses on, She actually got mad whenever we took them off and would put them right back on top of her head.
{if you're wondering why she was in a raft inside the house it was because Uncle Craig was bouncing her up and down in it}

I think she got bounced a little too hard. :)





C was very into copying all the silly faces Brian made at her. They had a lot of fun together. On the way home, Christopher told me that Brian asked her if Curran was always that much fun. :) So cute.




Watching the sunset before bed.


Another perfect weekend at the beach!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, I am always a little bummed when Labor Day passes. I don't like not being able to wear my white pants anymore. It really puts a damper on my black-white-khaki rotation for work. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On another completely random and kind of gross note, I was doing C's laundry earlier tonight and was transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer when I found this:


In case you can't tell, that is one of C's diapers {a Pampers Cruisers Dry Max, to be exact}...used...and now clean. I was really grossed out at first, but then I was very impressed when I realized it was completely saturated with water but it was still dry and in tact. Dry Max indeed. And the picture doesn't do it justice...the thing was huge. And don't worry, I cleaned off the counter after I took this picture.

{btw I blame John for this, but don't tell him that.}

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow what a trip! I know you'll be glad to get the AC fixed. As much as I pretend to be able to do some things the old fashioned way I really love my modern conveniences. I can't believe the diaper survived being washed without exploding. That's very impressive. What a funny post:)

Kristen said...

The beach pics are too cute. And that diaper...well that is just hilarious!