I will go ahead and say it. I am not one of those women who loves being pregnant. Now before anyone gets offended and thinks I am some horrible mother, I do acknowledge that pregnancy is truly a miracle and a blessing, and I am so fortunate to be experiencing it. I know that. And of course I do love the end result of pregnancy. But there are just some women who love it and some who don't. Pregnancy is not for the faint of heart people...that little baby causes all kinds of crazy things to happen to your body, and you are just the vessel until that baby arrives. So anyway, on to my list of things I will miss:
1. The parking spots that some stores have for pregnant women only. John makes fun of me because I will drive around the Publix parking lot until one opens up. I'll be damned if I'm not going to take advantage of one of the few stores who understand that being fat and hot and having to walk a long way through the parking lot does not make for a happy customer. One time John and I were going to the store, and there was a Pregnant Lady Only parking spot open, so of course I pointed it out and told him to make a bee-line for it. He refused and parked a little further down. Now why he did that, I still do not understand, and we got in a knock-down-drag-out on the way into the Publix about it. I still don't get his thinking sometimes. Oh well. I sure will miss those close parking spots, though.
2. I will miss getting out of doing certain things around the house, like going out to feed the dogs, cooking or doing the dishes when I don't feel like it. I still do a lot around the house because I don't like to relinquish control (see #5), but pregnancy works as a great excuse when I don't feel like doing something. John is so sweet and will do anything I ask him to without complaining, most of the time. And I will miss the free foot and back rubs. You can't say no to a pregnant lady, but I have a feeling that once the baby is here, John will be expecting those in equal turns.
3. I think it's so fun how a pregnant belly can get even complete strangers excited, and they love to ask all kinds of questions like "How far along are you? What are you having? Is it your first? Do you have a name?" etc etc. Few things in life evoke that much emotion out of people, and I think it's neat. Luckily I really haven't had any complete strangers reach out and touch. I might not think that was so neat. I did have one check-out lady want to guess what I was having because "she has never been wrong." So I had to stand there while she stared at me, turn to the side to show her my profile, etc. I'm sure the person behind me was not amused. But you know what, she got it right. Now granted I know it is a 50/50 chance, but still. So for any pregnant people out there who don't know what you're having yet and you want to find out, just visit the Western on Highlands and let the check out lady take a gander.
4. On a more cheesy note, I know I will miss feeling this little baby move around inside me. Sometimes it is mind-boggling to think that she already has a little personality and thinks and feels just like we do. I know I will miss feeling her kick and stretch, although it is not too fun when I get a sharp jab to the ribs. But I still get so excited every time I feel her move, even after all these months. I know John is sick of me grabbing for his hand so he can feel it too, especially since she has usually moved by that point and he doesn't feel anything.
5. I am a very controlling person by nature, and this may sound awful, but I like knowing that I am the sole person providing for her. It is empowering to me to know that I am the reason she is still here 9 months later. Not that I have really done anything, but the fact that a baby can be conceived, survive 9-10 long months, and come out healthy (I hope!!!) is such a miracle to me. I helped deliver a baby in nursing school, and no matter how much science you know, when you see a baby being born, there are no words to describe it. I remember thinking, "How did that just happen??" I was boo-hooing right along with the baby mama while I was holding her leg in the stirrup! :)
Anyway, those are just a few of the things that pop into my mind. Not that any of you were dying to know them! :) Things I will not miss: heartburn, heartburn, heartburn, not feeling cute in any of my clothes, the swelling, the sleepless nights (well I guess I still have lots of those to come), having to go to the bathroom every 5 seconds, giving up alcohol (although that hasn't been too bad), people telling me how big I'm getting, and I guess I could go on. But I better end it in case my daughter reads this one day and gets the wrong idea. I do love her already and absolutely cannot wait for her to get here!! It's the getting there part that's hard!
Thursday, July 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I completely agree 100% with all of your pregnancy comments. I think I will have to ditto #4 the most.
I completely embraced being pregnant, but now, I'm like you and want this baby out!
I feel you on this, ML. I haven't LOVED being pregnant, but I've been so lucky to have a smooth, relatively easy one, so I cannot complain much. I will just be glad when I'm not anymore. I will definitely miss the movements though - it is so cool and unlike anything else I've ever experienced. That has definitely made me & John both alredy feel bonded to Mitchell. Thinking about you as we suffer through these last few weeks. Good luck and love to all 3 of you!
Post a Comment