Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Curran- 4 Years Old!

Today my CurryBug is 4 years old! I can hardly believe it! I think a part of me always pictured 4 as being so old, but Curran still acts pretty babyish a good bit of the time. But according to the "what they should be doing at this age" info sheet at her Well Check-up a few weeks ago, that is perfectly normal at 4. Whew.  :) She still loves to be held and cuddled. Her teachers this year are pretty no-nonsense. Well, one is more affectionate than the other, so that is who she's drawn to more. The other one is nice but much more serious and is not about to baby those soon-to-be-kindergartners. Curran did well with the transition to her new class in June. This was the first year she didn't cry when we dropped her off, so she is showing signs of growing up.

She is still a little bit. She weighs 33 lbs and is 38 1/4" tall {both 25th percentile}. She can wear a wide variety of clothes: 2T-4T. Her feet are a size 8.5, so she mostly wears a 9. 

She still LOVES to read and do puzzles. We ordered her the Highlights magazine for Christmas, and she requests to read those every day. They are full of finding the hidden pictures, determining what is different between two pictures, etc and she loves that. She knows the order of the days of the week and months of the year. She knows what year it is {not that she probably has a clue how that relates to anything}.

She still loves dancing, ballet, princesses, and all other things girly and pink. Although now she says her favorite colors are "blue, green, red and sometimes pink."

She loves a lot of TV shows, but her favorites are probably Sofia and Doc. But she still loves her old faithfuls like Mickey and Little Einsteins. She loves to play outside, play with her dolls, and dress up. She constantly packs little bags of her treasures and carries them everywhere {she has done that for years}. She spends a lot of time playing with all her little princesses and lining them up on her shelves.

Like most kids her age, she says the funniest things. I write her funnier quotes down in the notes app on my phone. I go back and read them, and even when I can't remember what context they were said in, they still make me laugh. She still talks a lot about dying and heaven. I think my in-laws are still scarred from a convo that occurred on the way home from lunch when they were visiting a few months back that centered around her not being able to wait until she went to Heaven. She goes back and forth between being terrified by the idea and thrilled by it. 

She has such a helpful nature and truly is at her best when she feels like she is helping John or me with something. She thrives on being useful. She also loves having her special time with just her Daddy or me, even if it's just running errands.

She has these funny little habits/quirks/rituals. One thing she does a lot is leave a little something on my, John's and her bedside table. It can be a flower, a cup, an Easter egg- you name it. It sounds random but it's a weird little act of kindness on her part. She never says anything about it. I will just walk into my room and find something there and then see that she left one besides everyone's bed. Sweet girl.

Curran's biggest struggle continues to be her sleep. She still wakes up most nights and it is exhausting. It's partially {or pretty much 100%} our fault for not handling the situation consistently. I guess I keep hoping she will just grow out of it, but it's been going on for nearly two years now. We are just so dang tired in the middle of the night that half the time we are too dead to the world to even fight her getting in our bed. Other times John takes her back to her room and she does fine staying in there the rest of the night. We almost always promise her a bribe {usually jelly beans and/or money for her piggy bank}, but that doesn't work too often. 

The other thing we struggle with is her being rough with Sallie Cate. It's the thing I correct the most. She really is sweet most of the time, but good gracious she can be so rough, and I lose my patience so easily over that. But when she is sweet and gentle, oh my word, they have so much fun together. 

I am writing this so late trying to get it in under the wire that I feel like I'm not remembering anything I want to include in here. 

We have a lot of hard times- the meltdowns, the blatant disobeying, the fights over sharing with sister, cousin or friends. But overall, I find such JOY in parenting in Curran.

CurryBug, I am SO very proud to be your mother, and I hope you always know that. You are smart and beautiful and kind and caring and generous and loving. I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I am so very thankful that God saw fit to make you my daughter. You are a good and perfect gift from above. 

Happy 4th birthday! I love you!




2 comments:

Emily Ferris said...

Sweet, sweet post, ML! Her little personality is so God-given. So fun to see/ hear her helpful & encouraging traits ... I know they will only grow more & more! Happy Birthday C-bug!

Morgan Robinson said...

Such a sweet little girl! I LOVE that she leaves surprises by everyone's beds. So loving and sweet! Happy Birthday C-bug!