My precious Sallie Cate,
Today is your first birthday. I remember this day one year ago so vividly. It was absolutely the best day of my life (along with your big sister's birth day, of course). I said at the time that if I could be promised more deliveries just like yours, I would have 10 more kids. To me, it was picture perfect. It was everything I had envisioned. You came very quickly after just a couple of pushes, and the doctor laid you on my stomach. I got to see your precious face for several minutes as they cleaned you off. It was most definitely love at first sight. You hear people talk about not knowing how they could love another child as much as they love their firstborn. I can understand that sentiment, but for some reason I never ever questioned how much I would love you. I bonded with you very early in my pregnancy, and I never once had the thought of "how am I going to love this one as much as I love my other." I felt so much love already. And it only blossomed the second I saw your face and held you in my arms. I can still recall those emotions so easily. I look at you and my heart just melts.
I would say that "sweet" has probably been the most common adjective that people use to describe you. You were just the sweetest baby from day one. My mom has said that you just have the sweetest spirit.
For your first few weeks, I spent almost every hour of the day simply holding you, too in love to put you down for more than a few minutes at at time. I cherished our time alone together as I got to know every curve of your face, every sweet noise that escaped your lips. I could not get enough of you {and still can't}. I tried hard not to gush too much about you, but I just couldn't help it. You filled my heart with so much joy that I couldn't even begin to contain it.
My dad said that he was worried you were going to get "lost in the crowd", having an older sister and cousin {who certainly make their presence known}, and then having a new cousin not even 10 months younger. But sweet girl, I knew that would never happen. You hold a special place in each of our hearts. You perfectly fill a void in our family that we didn't even know we had. I cannot put into words how deeply I love you. God has blessed our family immensely by adding you to it. I will forever be grateful for the precious gift that you are. I pray every day that God surrounds you with his love and protection. Your first year of life has brought me and the rest of our family so much happiness. I hope you can always feel just how much you are loved. I know that you won't properly understand it until you have babies of your own, but I will do my best to show you unconditional love every day of your life.
I love you, my sweet Cakers. Happy Birthday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Happy birthday, Sallie Cate! You are such a joy and we love you. I can't wait to watch you (and all our girls and boys) grow up!
Happy birthday sweet cakers! We love you dearly!
Post a Comment