We had Sallie Cate's three year well check a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I would update the blog with her stats and other tidbits. She weighed 29 lbs {30th percentile} and was 37" tall {50th percentile}.
We did have a little scare with her blood sugar. I had been noticing possible signs that can indicate diabetes. I have a first cousin was diagnosed at 18 months old, so it's something that has always been on my radar. So I figured I would ask the doctor to check her glucose at her appointment, not truly believing anything was wrong, but I just wanted to be thorough. Well her glucose actually came back elevated on the fingerstick. It wasn't alarmingly high, but high enough that the doctor said we needed to draw blood and check a hemoglobin A1c {this lab value gives you an idea of how the blood glucose is averaging during a 3 month period and is a marker that is followed in diabetics to assess glucose control}. We had to wait 3 days for this to come back and of course I was a pretty nervous. I still felt like it was going to be ok, but of course it was hard not knowing for sure. Thank God her A1c came back within normal limits! Our doctor talked to an endocrinologist at Children's who said we need to continue to monitor her A1c as well as her glucose since it was elevated, but for the time being she is fine!
Since I was very rushed trying to write her birthday post at the beach, I forgot to include a few random quirks about SC at this age that I want to remember. These are to jog my memory later and will probably be boring or make no sense for everyone else. :)
*Sometimes she adds the 't' sound into words where it shouldn't be, like "Dattie" {daddy} or "Sattie" {Sallie}- she mainly does this when she is excited and putting a lot of emphasis on the second syllable.
*She adds "actually" and "probably" onto the end of her sentences, even when it doesn't make sense.
*She wants to be a big girl like Curran so badly. Curran has to practice her sight words for homework once a week, and SC insists on getting out the lists of C's old sight words that Curran has mastered and doing them herself. She always says, "I need to do my sight words, too!" and wants us to read through the lists with her. :)
*She can recognize a fair amount of letters, mostly the first letters of her school friends' and teachers' names. Every time she sees an S she says "S for Sallie!" or "S for me!" She also can recognize a few numbers as well.
*Another thing she likes to do to stall bedtime is climb up to Curran's desk and say "Wait, I need to do my artwork."
*She can get into any child-proof medicine bottle, locked door, etc. I frequently find her up on a step stool getting into something she shouldn't be.
*She sometimes talks in this weird baby voice that cracks me up.
*She can be so darn precious one second that I want to eat her up and then the following second I'm pretending I don't know whose child she is.
*We are struggling with bedtime lately. Struggling. And it is about to do me in! She is the queen of manipulation and John and I are total suckers. We are trying to get better!
*She's been having awful leg pains at night. A pediatrician friend of my mom's said it's common in kids who are really active- their muscles continue to contract after they are resting and the pain is common along the long bones of the legs, and that's where hers hurt- along her femur right above her knee. She mostly hurts right before bed but has even woken up a few times in the middle of the night crying in pain.
*We're still pretty sure she's left handed but she continues to use her right hand a good bit.
*She has to have a "friend" or two with her at all times {she calls her stuffed animals her friends}. She freaks out if we get to school and have forgotten to bring a friend. She is much more attached to her animals than C ever was.
*I mentioned in her birthday post that she loves to dress up, and she is very into all things princess. Right now she is particularly obsessed with Sleeping Beauty. I love hearing her sing Once Upon a Dream in her sweet little voice, and she gets so giggly every time Sleeping Beauty wakes up at the end of the movie. She has seen it a million times and knows how it ends but still gets so excited. :)
There are times I am not sure how I'm going to survive this girl's childhood, but she always chooses those moments to turn on the charm. :) We do love her so!
Monday, May 4, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Oh, I know all about that terror one minute and charmer the next thing. We got that in spades around here! Friend of mine's little girl had leg pains at night for the better part of a year, I think they just attributed it to growing pains?
Post a Comment