This was our first time to see the elephants since they came back to Bham. Check out that tusk!
The girls look thrilled don't they? {this picture turned out super dark so I tried to lighten it up some}
Louis' first trip to the zoo!
One of my friends was selling her double stroller, so we went ahead and bought it. The girls had fun riding around together!
This is not a great pic because I couldn't avoid the glare. The lions just had babies not too long ago, so it was our first time to see the cubs! They were all sleeping, but they were cute to see nonetheless. {One cub is lying between his parents in this pic.}
Afterwards we went to lunch. C thinks everything L does is the funniest thing ever and gets so tickled at her. I always love seeing them play together.
They were being slightly wild.
Saturday afternoon we hung out with the Escalonas, and C had a blast
C was trying to lure Lucy with her little cat toy.
And C was beyond thrilled to wake up on Monday to homemade cookies and a card from her buddy. :)
She immediately yelled, "Lucy!!" as soon as she opened the card.
Saturday night and all day Sunday I got sucked into the 9/11 coverage. I think it is almost more devastating watching the coverage today compared to 10 years ago, if that's possible. Now that there are so many personal stories talked about, it just makes it seem much more "real" if that makes any sense. I was just so sad all day Sunday and couldn't shake my funk.
Like most everyone, I remember exactly where I was that terrible morning. I was in my junior year at Birmingham-Southern about to wake up for class. I could hear my suite mates {Sheela, Christopher and Elizabeth} all talking outside my door and I could tell something bad had happened. I heard my sister say something about hoping my aunt was ok {she lived in DC}. Then my phone rang and my friend Carol told me to turn on the TV. We all walked to class in stunned silence, and as soon we got there, we were quickly dismissed and classes were canceled for the rest of the day. My professor, Dr. McCallum, told us that we would always remember where we were on this morning. That it would be a flashbulb memory for us, and he was right.
My family took a trip to New York in 1998, my senior year in high school. We have some beautiful pictures of us in front of the Manhattan skyline with the Twin Towers in the background. We also ate at the Windows on the World restaurant that was located in the North Tower, and we have some pictures of us on the observation deck on the South Tower. I'm so glad we had the opportunity to visit that place.
The first reading at church on Sunday was incredibly perfect for September 11. The readings in the Catholic church are decided well in advance and are based on the liturgical calendar, so as the priest said, it was just God's providence that this was the reading that day:
Sirach 27:30-28:7
Wrath and anger are hateful things,
yet the sinner hugs them tight.
The vengeful will suffer the LORD's vengeance,
for he remembers their sins in detail.
Forgive your neighbor's injustice;
then when you pray, your own sins will be forgiven.
Could anyone nourish anger against another
and expect healing from the LORD?
Could anyone refuse mercy to another like himself,
can he seek pardon for his own sins?
If one who is but flesh cherishes wrath,
who will forgive his sins?
Remember your last days, set enmity aside;
remember death and decay, and cease from sin!
Think of the commandments, hate not your neighbor;
remember the Most High's covenant, and overlook faults.
yet the sinner hugs them tight.
The vengeful will suffer the LORD's vengeance,
for he remembers their sins in detail.
Forgive your neighbor's injustice;
then when you pray, your own sins will be forgiven.
Could anyone nourish anger against another
and expect healing from the LORD?
Could anyone refuse mercy to another like himself,
can he seek pardon for his own sins?
If one who is but flesh cherishes wrath,
who will forgive his sins?
Remember your last days, set enmity aside;
remember death and decay, and cease from sin!
Think of the commandments, hate not your neighbor;
remember the Most High's covenant, and overlook faults.








4 comments:
Lucy loved having her new friend over. (But maybe not so much the buggy). Curran is welcome to come back anytime!
Love Lucy's letter to Curran! It was hilarious to watch them play...or attempt to. :)
We were at the zoo on Saturday! We were there for a b'day party. Were you in McCallum's class that day? Because I was, and I remember him coming in saying the trade center had been hit by an airplane, but we were going to have class anyway! I'm trying to remember who was in there with me, so I can figure out if my memory is even accurate. CONGRATS on the pregnancy, btw! I'm so excited for y'all!!!
I was in his Psych of Statistics class (or whatever it was called). This was probably the second class of the day, so maybe you had him the period prior to me. I think by the time my class started (maybe around 9:20ish???) both towers had been hit. I just know I didn't wake up until after 8 that day so I know it wasn't his first class of the day.
Post a Comment