{Ignore the too big ballet slippers on SC. I lost that battle.}
She has really loved kindergarten, and it just blows my mind how quickly children learn. She started the year not reading a bit and knowing only some {to my knowledge} letter sounds, and now she knows dozens and dozens of sight words, can read simple books, and picks up on harder words from context clues. She still gets frustrated when she doesn't easily know a word, but her confidence has grown so much since the beginning of the year. Her handwriting still needs some improvement {she occasionally writes some letters and numbers backwards}, but she frequently writes in sentences, and while the spelling is never completely correct, one can almost always make out what she's trying to say. :)
I love hearing about what she's learning at school. She will all of a sudden spout off some random tidbit of information, and I'm thinking "where in the world did you learn that?!" We had some neat conversations about MLK this past month, and it was interesting to hear her take on some of our nation's darker times. I have never brought up the issue of race; she has never mentioned the differences between people, which I always have liked, so I didn't feel the need to make a point of it if she didn't. But as she learns more about our nation's history, it's provided some great topics of discussion.
She has made the sweetest friends in her class and a few in the other kindergarten classes, and I am so thankful for that. She still misses her preschool friends something fierce, but I'm so glad she is not lonely when she is at school. I volunteer in the cafeteria once a month, and I love seeing her interact with her friends. And she loves me being there- I'm going to cherish that while it's still "cool" to have your mom at school! :)
She is still doing gymnastics and ballet once a week. She seems to really enjoy gymnastics, but I don't know if it's something we'll stick with. She of course still adores ballet, and she performed in The Nutcracker for the first time in December! Hopefully I'll blog about that before too long. She is going to try softball this Spring, and I am really looking forward to that! She loves all things Auburn, and was so excited to go to her first game this Fall.
Curran has lost her two bottom front teeth and the permanent teeth are almost all the way in. I think she only has one other loose tooth right now. She was SO excited to start losing her teeth, but it makes me sad because it's another sign of her growing up. I got strangely emotional as I tucked away that little baby tooth- it was the very first tooth to pop up and now it's gone. :(
Curran really is just the sweetest thing. She is so helpful and responsible at home. I started a chore chart in the Fall but have not kept up with it because she does most things on it without my asking. She always clears her dishes, puts her dirty clothes in the hamper, cleans up toys, etc. One day I was cooking, and I went downstairs to the basement to look for something, and I saw her diligently cleaning up, so I snuck back to the kitchen so I wouldn't disturb her. She ended up cleaning and straightening the whole entire house, and then came and found me asking what else she could do to help. :) This doesn't happen every single week, but she has always loved being helpful, and I am so thankful. {Never mind that I often can't find things of mine she has "put away." :) }
She is so sweet and nurturing to Sallie Cate, most of the time anyway. They, of course, have their sibling rivalry moments, but overall she is very helpful and mothering to her. And lately Sallie Cate has entered a big "sister" phase: everything is "where's my sister?" "I need my sister." Or when we're out in public, she will tell every stranger we pass "This is my sister!" It is precious because you can tell she's so proud.
They have been sleeping together in Curran's room for the past few weeks. I will say that Curran doesn't love it though, because it takes SC forever to fall asleep, and she fidgets and gets in and out of the bed, and it drives C crazy. I thought Curran would really like the company since she sleeps upstairs by herself, but it turns out she likes her sleep more. :) We had SC in a toddler bed in her room, but she started asking to sleep upstairs {which is the eventual plan for when we have a 3rd anyway}, so we let her. Sometimes she ends up being taken back down in her room, and she still naps in her room most of the time. {SC's sleep issues are for a whole other post!}
It is such a blessing to watch Curran grow and become more confident in who God made her to be, and we could not be more thankful for her!







1 comment:
Sweet Curry Bug! Like you said, LOVE seeing her grow into the little girl God made her to be. I miss y'all!
Post a Comment