Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Curran at 5 Years

We just had Curran's five year well visit this past Friday, so I thought I would update the blog. She is 38 lbs and 41.8" tall {both 40% percentile}. She had to get 4 shots and she knew it ahead of time, so she has been dreading this appointment. When I picked her up from school on Friday, I didn't tell her where we were going, but as soon as we turned in the doctor's parking lot she started crying. I felt so bad, but I had promised her she could go pick out a toy at Target afterwards, so I kept reminding her of that. She finally perked up, but as soon as Dr. D walked into the room, she blurted out "How many shots do I have to get?" But thankfully Dr. D was able to change the subject and got C in a good mood. My only concern at the appt was Curran's speech impediment with the letter r. I honestly would not worry about it if she didn't have two r's in her name. It makes it very hard for people to understand her name when they ask her, so I feel like I am always repeating it after she says it. Dr. D knew what I was going to ask before I had to say too much {I was worried about C hearing me talk about it and therefore start to worry/be insecure about it}. She said is still totally age appropriate, but in a year if it's not better then we may do something about it. {Although I am still thinking about getting another opinion from my speech pathologist friends. I don't think it would hurt to work to correct it now.} Anyway, she did fine with her shots besides some initial crying. I was proud of her!




I feel like she has grown up a lot over this past year. She is finally sleeping through the night without waking up and coming into our room. It only took about 2.5 years to get over that awful habit! She has also adopted a more "grown up" language, saying "like" and "whatever" quite frequently. Drives me batty, but I do it too, so I can't get too mad. 

She can spell a few words on her own and is starting to recognize some sight words. She is also constantly asking how to spell words, so I am excited to see how much she learns in kindergarten this year!

She loves to draw and point, and absolutely loves to cut and glue anything and everything. Thankfully we have had no mishaps with the scissors yet {famous last words}.




I am trying to get her more independent about playing outside by herself. I can see her swing set from our kitchen window, but she still likes me to be out there with her most of the time. She has gotten much better about playing independently in her room. She loves playing with her little Disney princess figurines and other plastic animals. She also enjoys her doll house and playing with play dough. 

She went to stay with both sets of grandparents for 5 days this summer. She had a blast both times, but we missed her terribly! But I do think it's important for her to learn to be away from us, and I hope she is building precious memories of this time spent with her grandparents. 


Heading to Memphis. Nana and Pop kept her constantly entertained with trips to the pool, botanical gardens, children's museum, and more.

Sweet sisters reunited after 5 days apart


And this is her while we were waiting on my dad to meet us so she could go stay with them in Jackson.
She was headed straight to Princess dance camp once she got to Jackson, and she had an absolute BALL! I'm so glad I signed her up. They did crafts, educational worksheets, danced {of course}, and had a different Disney princess come visit every day. And the classes were only an hour and a half long! They came home with a little scrapbook of all they did- I'm not sure how they fit so much into such a short amount of time. They had a little performance at the end of the week that the parents {or grandparents} got to go watch. After the first class Monday, my cousin Cindy picked her up for lunch, a movie, and a snowcone. She was also able to see a lot of my mom's friends, Gran Gran, and Aunt Janie. As my mom said, she received a steady stream of visitors and they all came bearing gifts. She was in heaven. :)


She is still loving ballet and just started her third year, but we switched to another studio. She is trying out for the Nutcracker next month, and I am just praying she gets a part. If not, we are going to have one disappointed kiddo on our hands. :) She is also taking gymnastics this semester. I am planning to stick to no more than two extracurriculars each semester. She is tired after school and we are all slowly adjusting to this new schedule.


Curran with her BFF. They are missing each other so much now that they are at different schools. 


Curran is such a sweet girl. I love seeing her relationship with Sallie Cate grow. She takes such good care of her, and SC loves for Curran to help her put on her shoes in the morning, open certain things for her, hold her hand when she's crossing the street, etc. They still fight and have trouble sharing, but for the most part, they are loving towards one another. They are always excited to see each other first thing in the morning.



I still can't believe I have a 5 year old! We are blessed indeed!



2 comments:

Lora G said...

What a sweet big girl! I love seeing her pics with SC, reminds me of z and Lu's sweet moments. Do you mind me asking are y'all doing aftercare? How are you coordinating after school activities with work? Just have no idea how we're going to do it when the time comes. :)

Jeanne & Martin said...

Love all the pics! You have the most beautiful girls! Maybe one day one (or both) of them can get set up with one of my boys. :)