Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 2, 2012

5 Months Old


Today Sallie Cate is 5 months old! I cannot believe that in just one short month she will be halfway to a year! Where did my newborn go?! I feel like the adjective I use most to describe her is "sweet." I know I say it all the time, but it's true: she is just sweet, she's downright edible!!



I gave a little bit of an update about midway through the month when I did her 4 month check post, so I don’t feel like I have much to update on now. I talked about her poor sleeping. Well, wouldn’t ya know, she slept through the night that night- 6:30pm-6:20am. AND Curran actually slept all night in her bed, too! I didn’t know what to do with myself! :) SC slept well the rest of that week and now we are back to waking up 1-2 times most nights. Her cold had gotten better and now she’s congested again, so I think that is part of the problem. I am trying to be better about putting her to bed awake, but it’s hard on the nights after school because she is SO tired. And I’m in a {bad?} habit of rocking her to sleep for her naps, but I love that time with her. When she starts getting sleepy, I wrap her up and then go swing with her on the porch until she falls asleep. But this weekend we have tried putting her down awake for naps, too. As our doctor says, babies are either born great sleepers or they're not, but they all learn at some point. So I know we'll get there eventually.


{just ignore the mosquito bite on her face}

She is taking 5 oz bottles every 3 hours at school and still nursing every 3 hours at home. I still give her a bottle after nursing before bed to make sure she is good and full. She is still going to bed around 6:30, sometimes as late as 7:00.

I’ve realized that I do things later with SC than I did with C. Part of it, I think, is that with C, I had no frame of reference so she always seemed so big to me. And with C around, I still kinda picture SC as a newborn. I had C in the exersaucer at 3 months, whereas with SC it dawned on me at 4.5 mo that I hadn’t tried her in it yet. I just now have started giving Sallie Cate toys to play with in her car seat and on the floor, and I know I did that much earlier with C. I started C on rice cereal shortly after she turned 4 months, and I am nowhere close to starting it with SC yet. I'm not sure she’s ready, and I’m in no hurry either.


I still think she’s teething, but no teeth have popped through. C had her first two by now so I keep thinking SC must be close, but maybe not. I’ve never seen a kid chew on her hands or drool so much for two months and not have any teeth so show for it. And everyone who comes in contact with her comments on the fact that "she must be teething."



She is rolling over really well these days. I usually still swaddle her bottom half for sleep, but if I don’t, she rolls all over the bed. One time I looked at the monitor, and she was no where to be found. She had completely rolled out of view. 



She is such a happy baby and still doesn’t cry too often. She laughs pretty easily, especially if I’m singing to her. She must think my voice sounds funny. :)


We love our sweet girl and are so thankful for these past 5 months!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe she is already 5 months old. I feel like I was just cuddling her as a sweet newborn. Love those big eyes! She is just too precious.

Lora G said...

Oh ML, she is such a sweetie!! I totally agree about the starting things. I didn't even think about the playmat or bumbo until I looked back and saw that Z had already tried them by Lu's age. And, I can't imagine her in an exersaucer yet, but I'm pretty sure I had tried it with Z. Oh, and yay! about the sleeping. We didn't have a good sleep weekend ourselves :( but you're right eventually it all works out.