Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

First Dental Visit

I took Curran to the dentist for the first time this past Monday. Our pediatrician recommended seeing the dentist around age 2, but Curran has had so many teeth for so long, and although she loves "brushing" her teeth {i.e. sucking on the toothbrush and biting it every now and then}, she throws a major fit if I try to help. So I was worried about her teeth and thought they needed a good cleaning.

I was planning on taking her to see one of my friends from college who has a pediatric practice, and he was actually who my pediatrician recommended, so I was glad about that.

Their practice is really nice, so C had a great time playing with all the toys in the {very clean} waiting room {complete with several TVs and an Xbox/Playstation!}, so we got off to a good start. But as soon as we went back to the chair, so got very shy and clingy. They have TVs in the ceiling so kids can watch a movie while getting their teeth cleaned, but I couldn't even get her to look at it! She was just squirming and crying the whole time. I lugged my big camera in my purse so I could document the momentous occasion, but I was too busy holding down C's arms to be able to take a picture. The hygienist was very quick, and then the dentist came in to look at her teeth. He said everything looked great, that she had excellent spacing for her permanent teeth to grow in, etc. We will go back when she is 2.

On the child's first visit, they paint his or her hand to make a hand print on a ceiling tile and write their name next to it. But C wanted nothing to do with that, so they said we could do it next time. :) I'm hoping she will be less scared when she is 2, but I'm not counting on it.

3 comments:

Lora G said...

yay! Glad the visit went well! If her teeth are spaced well and she doesn't have any bad habits (i.e. drinking juice all day long and/or at nighttime), then they should be okay. The spaces make them self-cleansing. But, you can never be too sure or too on top of dental health! ;)
Oh, and it's good to get her acquainted with the process. She'll do better and better each time.

Mary Louis Quinn said...

She pretty much only drinks milk and water, sometimes diluted juice but not often. I am just prone to cavities so I have worried about her teeth. But I'm glad hers look ok. She def has plenty of space between them! :) He did say that she has some thickening of the gums (or whatever you call the tissue) between her two front teeth but that should thin out over time?? I've never heard of that. I hope it's ok.

Doris Pender said...

It's a good thing that Curran has no problems with her teeth. And I kinda understand that she was clingy to you during her treatment. It's just too bad that you didn't have the chance to document the scene, but there's always next time.