Pages

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, May 9, 2016

Baby John- 20 Weeks

It's hard to believe that my little guy is halfway done baking! I already feel like I've been pregnant forever, so I'm not sure these next 20 weeks will fly by.

I tried to get a good belly pic tonight, but you can see how that went. C had the blocks on 20 months instead of 20 weeks, Sallie was off crying in the corner, and I was annoyed at John for not being able to get a good picture. :)

So I tried to do it myself after the girls were in bed {with John lounging in the background}. Maybe I'll get a good one in a few weeks.


We had our big ultrasound last Thursday. I had been so nervous and anxious about this appointment, and the day couldn't come soon enough. Even though we had the genetic testing, that only rules out ten chromosomal abnormalities- there are so many other things that could go wrong. We ended up not having the AFP blood work at 15 weeks that you normally have since the panorama testing does not include that. I am now considered at a higher genetic risk for neural tube defects, but I had been on more than four times the recommended dosage of folic acid for 10 months before becoming pregnant with John, so my doctor felt like my chances of having a NTD were so very low. Plus we had that extra ultrasound at 11 weeks, and although it was not diagnostic, I could still see the head and spine fairly well and felt good about it.

Regardless, I was still so nervous going into last Thursday. I would have moments of total peace that everything would be fine, and then the next minute I would be consumed with fear. I got to my appointment early, so they were ready to start the US before John even got there! They were so gracious to wait on him. Once the tech got started, she said "Are you anxious? I can feel your heart beating through the ultrasound probe." I told her what all our family had been through, and that's when the tears started. She was so nice to quickly reassure me that what she was seeing looked great so far (normally they don't say anything until they are all done, if at all). As she continued the exam, she got quieter, but I just kept crying with relief as I saw her type things like 3VC {three vessel cord}, 4HC {four heart chambers}, etc. I was so relieved. I asked more questions after she was done just to make sure everything was ok. :) Baby John was perfectly cooperative during the exam and stayed relatively still, but as soon as she was ready to take pictures he started flipping around and she wasn't able to get any good ones. But we still got to watch him "play" for a while, and it was precious. He had the hiccups {which when I told Curran that later she was so tickled- she had had them that morning too :) }, he yawned huge and I could see his little tongue poke out, he put his hand in his mouth some- it was just beyond precious, and I'm thankful the tech was so sweet and patient. There was a student in there, so she practiced on us so we were able to see him for even longer than normal.

Then we headed to see the doctor. My normal doctor was out of town, and I didn't want to wait one more day than necessary so when I scheduled the appt, I said I would just see another doctor. It was a dr who is new to the practice so I had never met her, but she was so very sweet. I was teary during that whole appointment, and she was so sympathetic and understanding. I kept apologizing for not being able to control the happy tears, and she said "No, I think it's so sweet. You would not believe the negative reactions we see just based on the genders and it makes me want to throttle them. Some people don't realize what a true blessing a healthy baby is." After what my sister lived through and that diagnosis day being the very worst and most traumatic day of her life, I will never take for granted good news. I will never regret how I felt when she called me at work that morning- I completely fell apart. I can't even imagine how I would feel if it were my own child, and that fear has really affected me over the last 4 months- well really the last year plus. I don't really think I took having a healthy baby for granted before, but my perspective has certainly changed even more after losing my nephew and then having a miscarriage. On Thursday I was just so completely overwhelmed with God's goodness and protection over our sweet baby. I know how lucky we are, and I am forever grateful. After what Chris lived through with having her girls at that traumatic appt, we knew we didn't want ours with us just in case. But they gave us a DVD of the ultrasound, so we couldn't wait to show it to them that night. SC was over it about 5 seconds in, but Curran was riveted! She could recognize certain body parts and was so excited!

I felt like I need to get through that appointment before I could really start getting ready for the baby. We did set up the crib a few weeks ago, but I didn't want to move any of SC's things out of her room until we had that ultrasound and heard that everything looked good. So as soon as I got home from the appt, I started clearing out her drawers and closet and moving her things to Curran's room. :) I am a doer and planner and like to get things done asap. She and Curran have slept in the same room for a year and a half, but all her things were still in her room. When we first started talking about it, she didn't like the idea of me moving all her clothes and toys, but she has not batted an eye since it happened. We have all gone in her old room a few times looking for things before remembering they are no longer there, but she already calls it "Baby John's room," so I'd say she's adjusted well.

The best thing so far about this pregnancy is feeling him move. That never gets old! I mentioned before that I felt him between 14-15 weeks but it didn't become completely obvious until after 16 weeks. I felt him move from the outside at 16w4d, and that was also the most he had ever moved up until that point. I was lying in bed and he was just going nuts for a good twenty minutes. I even woke John up at 11:30pm to feel him {I was still up reading}, but I think he fell back asleep with his hand on my stomach and didn't feel him. :) He has since felt him a few times now that his kicks are getting stronger. The girls have not felt him yet.

I have only gained 2-3 lbs so far which I am thankful for because I definitely started this pregnancy a good ten pounds heavier than I was with either of the girls. I am feeling SO much better, thank God. I am still sleeping pretty well with occasional trips to the restroom. I was already on chronic reflux medicine before this pregnancy, so those symptoms are under control. But the few times I have missed a dose, it hits me quick. Overall, this pregnancy has {physically} been much easier than the other two!

Both of the girls are so excited about their baby brother. C rarely makes comments about it being a boy and not a girl. :) She has even taken his day gowns to show and tell a few times. She is such a little mama, so I know she will be in heaven once he's here. Sallie is so excited and constantly kisses my belly and asks me how the baby is feeling. She really is so sweet and caring. She can still be kind of rough with me, so I have to remind her to be careful of my stomach. I am so ready to see him with his big sisters!



1 comment:

Lora G said...

I am so thankful the appointment went well, and I'm excited to see these boys this year! Oh, and you look great! Glad you are feeling great too!