I posted this on my recipe blog but also wanted to post it here since no one probably looks at it {ya know, unlike all ten people that read here}. I have been thinking about making waffles ever since we ate at Cafe Degas in New Orleans. They had the best waffle I have ever had! I ordered it for Curran but ended up eating half of it before my entree arrived. They served it with praline butter and it was Slap-Yo-Mama good! Except I didn't slap my Mama because she was sitting right across from me and was buying my lunch. But seriously, the waffle was heavenly and we ordered another one for dessert for the whole table to split.
I have tried several recipes in the past and for some reason they never turn out very good. So I googled "waffles with praline butter." It was extremely hard to find a recipe for praline butter. One I came across had you make actual pralines and then crush them up so I stopped reading right there. The one I'm writing below is the only other one I found. I really don't know if it's truly praline butter. It was on a sketch-looking website. So was the waffle recipe. I can't even link to it because I have no idea where I found it, so sorry for not giving credit where credit is due. But let me just tell you to go make these waffles NOW. They were good. And John doesn't like syrup so he loved having the praline butter. I really could have eaten them without syrup, too. {But why pass on the syrup if you absolutely don't have to?}
Praline Butter:
125 gm butter, softened
1 Tbsp icing sugar mixture {not sure what this is- I omitted it}
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/3 cup almonds, chopped {I didn't have almonds, so I used walnuts}
Waffles:
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup brown sugar
6 Tbsp butter, melted
3 Tbsp bourbon {I only used 2 because Curran was eating the waffles, too, and I wasn't sure how much would cook out since waffles don't cook for very long :) }
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
Beat egg yolks and brown sugar with an electric mixer until thick and pale yellow in color {about 3 min}. Set aside. Combine butter, bourbon, vanilla and milk in a mixing bowl and stir. Add milk mixture to eggs and stir batter well. Sift flour and baking powder together and add to batter. Stir well. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm but not dry. Gently fold into batter. Makes 6 waffles.
Friday, October 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment